Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New Egg Owner in Edmonton

Firechief2Firechief2 Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

My XL BGE was delivered last week - WOW - this thing is amazing.

Thanks to all the posters on this site. I gathered an immense amount of very good info while "lurking" on this site.

Roy from Edmonton Alberta

Comments

• Get with the program man....it's Eggmonton!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Welcome to the cult, but don't go thinking that just because you now have a BGE, BC will soften its stand on wanting a share of oil revenues in exchange for a pipeline.....

Seriously, enjoy it.
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
  • Two comments, and they both made me laugh :)
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,049
    Congrats - is this your first smoker?  What kind of charcoal are you using in Eggmonton?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Yes - first smoker - I have always used a natural gas unit in the past. I will probably keep that one for ??????---a patio ornament ?

Using BGE lump for now - but at over $30 per bag I am looking for options.

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 14,251

@Firechief2-Welcome aboard and don't drink too much of the Kool-Aid too soon...regarding lump (and a great intro site) check out the below link-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm Also since the search function here is weak at best-try google and start your query with "big green egg" and then topic-in this case "lump charcoal" and you should gets lots of hits.  Lump preferences here will  yield about as many answers/options as posters.  Try many and then decide what meets your parameters.

Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.
  • Yes - first smoker - I have always used a natural gas unit in the past. I will probably keep that one for ??????---a patio ornament ?

Using BGE lump for now - but at over $30 per bag I am looking for options.

I have an egger friend in Edmonton and he says that lump is as bad as you say. What does CT charge for Royal Oak out there? It's 14 bucks for 8 kilos in ON.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Congrats on the the new egg, +1 on the naked whiz lump data base.
  • Pics or it doesn't exist
  • Firechief, I like that you mentioned keeping your old gas grill around as a patio ornament. I have done something similar but by removing all of the internal components I'm able to use it as storage for some of my eggcessories!