Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ribeye burgers

JBJB Posts: 510
edited 5:23AM in EggHead Forum
I used to buy burgers from a place that used a combination of choice, prime and wagyu in preformed patties. Expensive but dayum good. They went out of business a while back and I've been disappointed in burgers since. I bought the KA grinder attachment and tried a few combinations over the past couple of years but always came up short.

Stocked up on some ribeyes on sale at Publix this week and figured I would grind one up and give it another go. I remember reading a post where someone here used ribeye for burgers. I'm glad I tried it. Best burgers I've ever done personally, enough left to do a couple for lunch tomorrow. :)

Still partially frozen, cut into 1" cubes
ribeyeburgers500FMay2010001.jpg

First grind
ribeyeburgers500FMay2010002.jpg
ribeyeburgers500FMay2010003.jpg

Problem I've had in the past is that the grind seemed a bit too "chunky", so I ran it through again
ribeyeburgers500FMay2010004.jpg

Loosely formed patties, 5-6 oz., on at 500* slightly raised direct, 3 mins/ side
ribeyeburgers500FMay2010005.jpg
ribeyeburgers500FMay2010006.jpg

Went a little past where I had planned, but still a tinge of pink, and very juicy flavorful, not dry at all
ribeyeburgers500FMay2010007.jpg
·

Comments

• FLbobecuFLbobecu Posts: 309
    Looks tasty! Well done :)
    ·
  • jwr3jwr3 Posts: 61
    looks fantastic!
    ·
  • DrZaiusDrZaius Posts: 1,481
    That is a great idea. Thanks
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
    ·
  • Marc  from ILMarc from IL Posts: 499
    Oh boy, those look awesome. I need to grind some beef...
    ·
  • I just bought a meat grinder, and this is exactly what I had in mind to do with it. Thanks for the info, and pics, it looks great.

Faith
    ·
  • I think that I will try ribeye burgers this weekend.

Thanks.

·
  • :-bd  Oh yeah!!   Nice job!! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • thanks for the post.
    ·
  • And I thought I was doin' good grindin' chuck, brisket and short ribs.  Gotta expand my horizon.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • Try grinding a 50/50 blend of beef brisket and sirloin, I do angus brisket from Sams club and prime Ssirloin from Costo.. Makes the best burgers I have ever had
    ·
  • Wow, can't wait to get a grinder
    ·
  • I am sure the burger were great but not sure that I wouldn't cry when grinding a ribeye ;) .

Gerhard
    ·
  • I must try, looks great. Now what time was dinner?
    ·
  • psalzerpsalzer Posts: 106
    And safe to cook rare!
    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524
    edited September 2012

Just a tad off topic here, but is that FGA grinder for KA plastic? I see the inside screw or pusher is also plastic. HAs anyone broken theirs?

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

>:)

Chattanooga, TN.

·
  • The screw is plastic with a metal bar inside it. The blade and the thing with the holes are metal. I ground up about 4 lbs last night with no problems at all. Very easy.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
    ·
  • Looks tasty. Just not sure if I want to pay that much per lb for a burger. Is it worth cost?
    Boom
    ·
  • Personally, I cannot WAIT to grind up some super good meat for burgers,
    I have a question though in concern for my "better half".

She is somewhat specific in the % of fat in burger meat....is there ANY way of predicting what one might end up with when grinding different meats? Even ball park?

Guessing probably not, unless one has ground up thousands of lbs of meat, and compared (?) it to store bought stuff know percentages...

Did that make sense? :>)      Regardless, I'll be grinding soon!

RicklesssssssS in Oregon

·
  • A med rare burger does sound tasty
    Boom
    ·
  • thanks for the info, already have a grinder and will try it tonight.
    ·
  • Looks tasty. Just not sure if I want to pay that much per lb for a burger. Is it worth cost?
    All ends up in the same place anyway
    =))

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·