Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rocks Stoker in bad weather...ideas to protect the fan?

Options
bcrawfo2
bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've modified a watertight box to house my stoker if I happen to be doing a long cook in bad weather.    I used weatherproof outlet covers to allow for wires to exit the box.
Does anyone have a clean solution to protect the stoker fan from rain?   I think in the past I've used a dustpan and got lucky.

Comments

• gerhardk
    Options
    I have never thought about protecting the fan itself, for the controller I use to use a baggy and upgraded to food saver plastic box with a couple of holes drilled in the bottom.

Gerhard
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I cooked a couple of butts through a hurricane.  Put bag over controller, fan inlet facing down.  Tough for water to go up, and if any did, it didn't impact the ability for the DigiQ to hold setpoint.
    edited September 2012
    Options

I cut a regular plastic cup (12 or 16 oz cup) with the cuts around the fan.  Then the cup slips over the fan and the lip of the cup slips under the draft door top lip making the fan waterproof.  I also bought a Tuberware plastic clear box and cut a whole in it for a curved tube (plumbers small white corner tube).  I can put my Stoker in it and the wires go through the tube making it waterproof also.  Cost about $10.  I have pictures of it on my computer at home.  Cheap way to waterproof your Stoker.

Hope that made sense.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Here's a few options I've seen: -cut top & bottom off a can and slide the "ring" over the fan -cut bottom 3rd off a 2 liter bottle and cut a hole through the side to push the fan through -use a cheap food container (like glad ware or Rubbermaid), no lid, cut a hole through the side to push the fan through
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA