Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

21 lb Pork Shoulder

thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Getting shoulder ready to rub down and putting in the XL Egg for a "Pig Pickin" tomorrow evening This shoulder will cook about 22-23 hours at 225 degrees.......My Stoker and iPhone will let me monitor the cook durning the entire time http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww116/JohnPatterson/493b223819ebfe8a2299b9f0caa016d4.jpg
·

Comments

• I tend to see around 2 hours/pound at 250*...you may want to give yourself more time since you're going lower. You can alway hold in FTC for several hours if need be and it'll still be piping hot. Better than waiting around for the thing to finish.
    ·
  • Thanks or the imput, however, I have cooked many of these shoulders and mine have always finished in the 22-23 hour time frame......you are correct about holding, they will hold for several hours
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,102
    edited September 2012
    Have you ever done one that big before? Like Qiunn said I would start it at 250 and maybe bump it up tomorrow. Some one did one like that on the old forum and if I remember correctly it did go a lot faster then most people guessed but I'd bet at least 24 hours for the one you have.
    ·
  • I will post the results
    ·
  • Let's make a bet, like a pool, on time. I'll take 23-24 hours.
    Boom
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,757
    That is one huge pork shoulder!! Can't wait to see the results. I'm interested in the amount of time it will take to cook.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,808
    I'm gonna guess it would be similar in time to this 20 pound pork shoulder, no temp specified, but it was 27 hours.  http://jvp.smugmug.com/Barbeque/Backyard-BBQ-Food/8895898_KxbFjV#!i=609883000&k=JaY5V

·
  • thailandjohnthailandjohn Posts: 952
    edited September 2012
    The post above is my website I did this one at 215, raised temp the last 4 hours to 250
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    The post above is my website I did this one at 215, raised temp the last 4 hours to 250
    Just checked out the web site - great looking cooks.  I'd say you got this one under control.  Can't wait to see the finished product.
    edited September 2012
    Screen shot of BBQ Monitor from my iPhone showing the pit temp.....I can change the pit temp directly from this app and also monitor the internal temp of the meat http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww116/JohnPatterson/a21cec86.jpg
    ·
    edited September 2012
    I am in California near San Francisco....In the last 35 years, I have traveled all around the country checking out BBQ joints, mainly in the south.....I have been a judge at all the major BBQ contests, KC Royal, Memphis in May, Jack Daniels and many many more. I learned my BBQ from what I consider the masters of Q, the old man on a backroad in Alabama working out of his house, in Mississippi, the small BBQ joint only open on weekends etc, etc The best BBQ for me does not come from competition cookers, but from the people that has BBQ sauce running through there veins.....in most cases, these people, if they own a BBQ business, close down when they stop cooking...... I have been very fortunate to have been able to travel the south and visit all the great BBQ places and competitions
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,808
    You're a lucky man with some class.  Good lookin' BBQ and keep on keepin' on with the cookin'. 

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,096
    I am in California near San Francisco....In the last 35 years, I have traveled all around the country checking out BBQ joints, mainly in the south.....I have been a judge at all the major BBQ contests, KC Royal, Memphis in May, Jack Daniels and many many more. I learned my BBQ from what I consider the masters of Q, the old man on a backroad in Alabama working out of his house, in Mississippi, the small BBQ joint only open on weekends etc, etc The best BBQ for me does not come from competition cookers, but from the people that has BBQ sauce running through there veins.....in most cases, these people, if they own a BBQ business, close down when they stop cooking...... I have been very fortunate to have been able to travel the south and visit all the great BBQ places and competitions
    There was a BBQ restaurant that opened here in Cincy years ago that was the result of the same idea.  These two guys were trained chefs, but traveled the south and observed and learned bbq.  They opened a restaurant here called "Jimmy's".  It was the best Q in the entire area, loved that place.  It closed down after a few years.  Wish they would open up again somewhere near here.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • @thailandjohn what app is it you use? I'm not fond of the stoke master app.
    ·
  • JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    No advantage in cooking at that low temp. 275 / 375 would suit you just fine, but to each their own
    ·
  • JWBurns said:
    No advantage in cooking at that low temp. 275 / 375 would suit you just fine, but to each their own

Not for nothing man but you should have a look at John's CV before you make a statement like that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,102
    So is it done yet? After looking at your web site I'm guessing you are the guy I remember from the eegheads.com forum. BTW, great web site.
    ·
    edited September 2012
    Finished butt after 22 1/2 hours Now resting to be pulled in 3 hours I will post a picture later tonight or tomorrow morning, the pulled pork http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww116/JohnPatterson/f491c9f751f72fcc8ca5ea095713ac2d.jpg
    ·
  • Outlaw77, I use the app BBQ Monitor
    ·