Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Mac vs pc dun dun dahhhh

13»

Comments

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,359
    had the first one the one that looked like a piece of furniture if i remember right it was the first mega buck game system cost over a 100 and some 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 11,347
    I took a computer programming class in high school.  We penciled our code on cards, then a scanner would read them and punch holes.  Then we'd "load" our program and get printed output.

The next year we got TRS80s.  Color.  Best thing since unsliced artisan bread. First program I wrote was "blood is falling from the sky".  Then in college, I went through a few Commodores and got my first PC. Spent $180 buying expanded memory - something like 384 KB. 

One generation later, here we are today.  The servers I work on have 16 to 32 cores and are all virtualized.  Damn, I be gettin' old!  I still feel as immature as I did at 18 and I'm still not happy about getting carded.
    ;)

edited September 2012
    What makes me feel old is thinkin' - damn, kids now days don't know how to do sh*t!  I soldered together a synthesizer when I was 13, rebuilt an engine when I was 17, and damn if any kids I know could change their own oil or know how anything works except their swype pad.
    :))

• What makes me feel old is thinkin' - damn, kids now days don't know how to do sh*t!  I soldered together a synthesizer when I was 13, rebuilt an engine when I was 17, and damn if any kids I know could change their own oil or know how anything works except their swype pad.

+1,i dont change my oil
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2012
    What makes me feel old is thinkin' - damn, kids now days don't know how to do sh*t!  I soldered together a synthesizer when I was 13, rebuilt an engine when I was 17, and damn if any kids I know could change their own oil or know how anything works except their swype pad.
    I can operate many many weapons systems from simple rifles to TOW missiles (Tubularly launched, optically tracked, wire guided.)

I can improvise explosives and create shaped charges out of composition 4 and det cord(you can really wreck shop if you use IV bags.)

I could skin a buck and run a trot line before I could drive(legally)

I can use a compass and map to find my way anywhere.......anytime with no getting lost.

AND I can change my oil :)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • LOL! Yes, I remember cards, and waiting in line to punch them. In school, I coded many Fortran, assembler(BAL), and PL/I programs using cards. Thank God we went online when we started coding COBOL. The decks would have been huge.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
  • What makes me feel old is thinkin' - damn, kids now days don't know how to do sh*t!  I soldered together a synthesizer when I was 13, rebuilt an engine when I was 17, and damn if any kids I know could change their own oil or know how anything works except their swype pad.

+1,i dont change my oil
    edited September 2012
    Travis, we used to play around with some stuff in the lab.  Not proud to say I blew up a hood once cooking up a recipe for a smoke bomb to test the new centralized ventilation system.   Whoops.  We had fun with FAME.  Metallic sodium and water, potassium permanganate and glycerin.  Most of this was in the early 90s.

I was helping out a buddy of mine go through some old lab stuff (solvents, chemicals) that must have been from the 60s.  Everyone was scared of this stuff.  We just sat on it for decades.  Unlabeled bottles, etc.  I found a few similar ampule sealed liter bottles filled with liquid.  Unlabelled.  Searched them and finally, found one with a partial label.   I could make out "di-something-ether"  Remembering my chemistry, ether forms peroxides over time, which are very unstable.  I said, "dude, clear the parking lot, I think these are shock unstable".  We were in a back bay at the lab.  He made sure no-one was around.  I gently tossed the bottle and ducked.  Sho' nuff, it was unstable.  Giant explosion. Fireball the size of a car.  We had safety gear on and figured cleaning up some parking lot glass was a pretty effective disposal method.

Then there was about 40 pounds of KCN.  I figured out a way to neutralize it with bleach (sodium hypochlorite).  Scary, but it worked, rendered harmless.  Ended up getting everything cleaned up in an environmentally safe way.  Lots of the stuff went into labpack disposal (professional) where they have protocol.  Very expensive.

• I'm a video engineer and live motion playback operator. In my industry we use anything and everything depending on client needs. Macs outshine PCs in nearly every capacity of live entertainment. Having said that, My home has 3 macs, 3 iPhones and the iPad I'm typing this post on. The oldest of which is a 1st generation intel MacBook I purchased in 2006. It is still going strong. Having to deal with the frustration of viruses on PCs alone is worth the premium price of macs, let alone the idiot-proof/genius friendly OS on Macs. Why people would prefer to spend more time troubleshooting than accomplishing their tasks is beyond me.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Last time viruses were pronounced were with XP. Most people hated vista because it was slow albiet secure. Windows 7 is safe like vista and fast like xp. I have used macs and pc's for music production. Macs are goid for basic recordings, but unless you have a mac pro... Fails in every aspect for music production un comparison to pc.
  • OutcastOutcast Posts: 112
    I can operate many many weapons systems from simple rifles to TOW missiles (Tubularly launched, optically tracked, wire guided.)
    You kids and your TOW missiles these days.....
    B-)

• OutcastOutcast Posts: 112
    troutgeek said:
    LOL! Yes, I remember cards, and waiting in line to punch them. In school, I coded many Fortran, assembler(BAL), and PL/I programs using cards. Thank God we went online when we started coding COBOL. The decks would have been huge.
    Do you remember coding APL, and what the acronym stood for ? 
  • FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
    edited September 2012
    I remember "logo" on the Apple II E, and those wonderful green monitors.  

• Outcast said:

troutgeek said:

LOL! Yes, I remember cards, and waiting in line to punch them. In school, I coded many Fortran, assembler(BAL), and PL/I programs using cards. Thank God we went online when we started coding COBOL. The decks would have been huge.

Do you remember coding APL, and what the acronym stood for ? 

Never coded APL, but it's an acronym for A Programming Language. It's sad, but all I use these days are toolsets and SQL. Not much programming is involved in programming any more. However, I can get a hell of a lot more done in a couple hours work, using an ETL and Cognos BI, than I could with COBOL and assembler.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
  • My first and perhaps my last post.

Mac folks sure are full of themselves.

• 733102243 said:

My first and perhaps my last post.

LOL, I know. Mac is great, but it is not even in the comparison of Weber versus Big Green Egg as how they are trying to establish. 
    edited September 2012
    733102243 said:

My first and perhaps my last post.

c'mon, we're just having fun.  It's like the chopsticks people versus the fork people.  Cat people versus dog people.   Sham-wow people versus sponge bob people.  Bunched panties versus commando.
    =))

• Real Men(PC) vs Sissy Men(Mac), Dogs(PC) vs. Cats(Mac), and of course the best of them all, PC vs. Mac. Dun Dun DAHHHHHHHH  =))
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 15,970
    i like the bge comparison, but its all wrong. the pc is more like the egg, the mac is more like a high end gasser, doesnt matter how many thousands you spend on a gasser, its still just a gasser
    :D
  • re:

My first and perhaps my last post.

As I was trying to fall asleep last night, I wondered if I had stumbled into an 'Off Topic' forum like the ones on every forum I visit.

Indeed! I did. I was viewing the forums 'flat' - with the forum title at the 'end' of the listing. Good. That works for me.

Since I joined eggheads to do due diligence prior to purchase, I'll find the correct forum and post there.

Last statement stands. Thanks for not flaming me :-)

• 733102243 said:

re:

733+, 
    It's taken me a long time, but I've learned to avoid the off topic threads, and especially, the flame threads.

This forum has some incredible cooks, such as Cazzy, Travisstrick, Mickey, Austin Egghead, Little Steven, Cen-Tex. and several more, and you and I can learn a great deal from them.  Just avoid all of the noise on the line and concentrate on the real substance.

P.S. Apologies to many that I left out.  You are right up there too.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

• 733102243 said:

re:

733+, 
    It's taken me a long time, but I've learned to avoid the off topic threads, and especially, the flame threads.

This forum has some incredible cooks, such as Cazzy, Travisstrick, Mickey, Austin Egghead, Little Steven, Cen-Tex. and several more, and you and I can learn a great deal from them.  Just avoid all of the noise on the line and concentrate on the real substance.

^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

• 733102243 said:

re:

733+, 

I agree. So, who wants to talk politics? :)
    Mark Annville, PA
  • 733102243 said:

re:

733+, 

I agree. So, who wants to talk politics? :)

that makes me uncomfortable. Religion?
    Boom
    I love magic!

• I do have a minor in biblical studies,guess i could start the religious topic:-P
  • I do have a minor in biblical studies,guess i could start the religious topic:-P
    I went to Catholic school from 1st - 10th grade. (I have since renounced Catholicism)
  • I am not bothered if people want to discuss religion, and I am happy if they are spiritually fulfilled in their personal beliefs were religion becomes an issue is when the Christian fanatics want to convert the Voodoo fanatics who want to convert the Muslims fanatics...........  Much like when the Apple fanatics put down the Linux users who feel way superior to the Microsoft users and there is unneeded tension all around.  I am happy that some folks are happy with 20 year old computer running DOS 2.10 it just isn't for me so don't try to convince me that you have seen the light and that I would be happier, more productive and richer if I followed you.  If I ever want to find God I will seek you out and let you make me complete until then leave me to my horrible fate.

Gerhard

Gerhard
  • BotchBotch Posts: 2,541
    So, any of you kids know how to use a slide rule?    :-B

I used an Atari for 8 years, Mac G3 for 8 years, 24" iMac since 2007, and got my beloved MBA last year.  Have always used Wintel machines at work.  Its all good, except when its not.  

I Know Why The Egged Bird Sings.

Ogden, Utard.