Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Egg Accessory

syrsudssyrsuds Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
My Children got me the XLRG egg for a gift.  I love it but my wife and I are now empty nesters and it is too big to use for just the two of us.which is great but, can make it difficult for small amounts of grilling.  So I have come up with a accessory.  “The Big Green Egg Grilling Ring”.  As you can see you can condense the charcoal which makes it ignite much faster and uses less.  Added bonus…you can grill directly and indirectly over the same fire at the same time.  You can also place the charcoal around the outside.  Also going to get a smaller grill that will sit right on top of it for hot searing.
·

Comments

  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    Very cool. Glad it works for you, but just so you know (and not to take away from what you did), you came up with something that is already being made and sold at the Ceramic Grill Store. Lump Reducing Rings

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

    ·
  • syrsuds said:
    My Children got me the XLRG egg for a gift.  I love it but my wife and I are now empty nesters and it is too big to use for just the two of us.which is great but, can make it difficult for small amounts of grilling.  So I have come up with a accessory.  “The Big Green Egg Grilling Ring”.  As you can see you can condense the charcoal which makes it ignite much faster and uses less.  Added bonus…you can grill directly and indirectly over the same fire at the same time.  You can also place the charcoal around the outside.  Also going to get a smaller grill that will sit right on top of it for hot searing.

    ·
  • Thanks much Griffin for the info.  I should have checked with you first. Hope I'm doing this posting right.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926
    You don't have to check with me now (or ever) about anything. I was just letting you know. So what did you make yours out of?

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    BTW, doesn't exist without pics.      ;)

    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • tazcrash said:
    BTW, doesn't exist without pics.      ;)

    Check @syrsuds profile pic, I think that's his solution. 
    Hey @syrsuds, somehow, even when you find something available that solved a problem in the same manner you did on your own, it still always feels good. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I know a mechanical contractor that cut it for me out of schedule 40 black iron pipe.  It will last forever.  I had a picture added but the forum said my post was 11,889 characters too long.  Is that because the photo was too high def?  I thought the site automatically re sized them.
    ·
  • Thanks gentlemen!  For a brief moment there I though I was pretty clever.  New to the site and enjoying it.
    ·
  • Photo


    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,926

    BTW, I didn't mean to come off sounding mean or anything. I was thinking about it when I was driving home and felt a little bad. Sometimes intentions get misunderstood on forums and I hope that isn't the case here. I was just pointing out that somebody else has done it. I think it is awesome that you saw a problem and came up with a solution by yourself. I envy people who have skills in metal and can make things like that, rather than having to purchase a pre-made item. Wish I could do things like that.

    So, I'd like to start fresh and wish you a warm welcome here to the Egghead Forum. Can't wait to see some pics of your cooks and what you are doing on your Egg.

    Richardson, Texas

    Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

    The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

     

    ·
  • AviatorAviator Posts: 1,524
    Griffin said:

    BTW, I didn't mean to come off sounding mean or anything. I was thinking about it when I was driving home and felt a little bad. Sometimes intentions get misunderstood on forums and I hope that isn't the case here. I was just pointing out that somebody else has done it. I think it is awesome that you saw a problem and came up with a solution by yourself. I envy people who have skills in metal and can make things like that, rather than having to purchase a pre-made item. Wish I could do things like that.

    So, I'd like to start fresh and wish you a warm welcome here to the Egghead Forum. Can't wait to see some pics of your cooks and what you are doing on your Egg.


    =D>

    Nicely done bro.

    ______________________________________________ 

    Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

    And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

    >:)

    Chattanooga, TN.

     

    ·
  • No No No...Not at all Griffin.  You were most helpful and kind.  As I said, I am enjoying all of you crazy Eggheads.  All the best.
    ·
  • All of you crazy eggheads? You smell like one yourself...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  •  

    All of you crazy eggheads? You smell like one yourself...
    That's funny!  My wife was sleeping when I cranked up the Egg for my butt last weekend.  I snuck into the bedroom for something and she grogily said "You smell like the Egg."

    ........................................................................................

    Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

    We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,277
    take that as a badge of pride...
    ______________________________________________
    This is my signature line just so you're not confused.
    Large and Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr., smoker with a 5k btu AC, gas grill, fire pit, pack of angry cats, two turntables and a microphone, my friend.
    New Orleans, LA - we know how to eat 

    ·
  • That's too funny, my wife says the same thing. This ring that you are using, are what some people use for cold smoking to hold extremely low temps. I'll have to create one as well, I'd much rather craft something than to fork out a pretty penny on every accessory.

    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851


    tazcrash said:

    BTW, doesn't exist without pics.      ;)


    Check @syrsuds profile pic, I think that's his solution. 
    Hey @syrsuds, somehow, even when you find something available that solved a problem in the same manner you did on your own, it still always feels good. 

    Thanks and thanks for the real pic
    Hard to see on a phone.

    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
Sign In or Register to comment.