Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mac vs pc dun dun dahhhh

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    edited September 2012
    tivo:  http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Unibody-MacBook-SuperDrive-Replacement/dp/B0058AH2US

You'll want to make that caddy is compatible with your model.  There are caddys for all the models, just need to pick the right one.  That's about the price I paid.

·
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    edited September 2012

All about personal preference.  I drive a Porsche Cayenne.  There are cheaper ways to get to my destination, but to me the enjoyment I get from driving the Cayenne is worth it.  Mac's don't do anything PC's don't do just as well.  They are just different and have a different feel which you pay for, and to some it is worth it and to some not.  Again personal preference.  I have a PC and could care less to pay the extra money for the Mac.

The one thing that really bothers me about Apple products though is that I feel the only reason they sell any hardware is to hook you on buying expensive content from them. The other thing that bothers me is if you go into one of their stores they look at you like you are some kind of second class citizen, and a moron becuase you use a PC vs. Mac or Android vs. iPhone.

By the way I own 12 PC's 10 at work and 2 at home, I have never had a PC not function for only 2 years.  I have machines that are 5+ years old that are running all day every day at the office and are going strong.

George
    ·
  • I have two Asus pc's never had an issue with them either
    ·
  • I have two Asus pc's never had an issue with them either

My laptop is an 08 asus. It spent a year in Iraq, several months living in a tent in the desert of Cali and hasn't been treated very well.

It works flawlessly and is amazingly fast, still.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
    I don't buy into that yuppy, latte drinkin', vw drivin' hip marketing that Apple pushes.  I've used Microsoft operating systems for 22 years and used to be the IT manager for a lab with around 70 windows computers.  Fortunately I don't have to deal with hardware and software anymore, I think I'd lose it.  I've owned both Windows and Macs, and if I didn't, I wouldn't be making any comparisons here.

That said, consumerreports.org research shows them as breaking the least in the repair history graph, and every one of their notebooks is at the top of the ratings in it's respective category.  They're way more resistant to key-loggers, viruses, zombies and losing your personal information and identity theft.  That's important to me, and having the stability of a Unix kernel is important.

I never buy content from them, and you're not forced to.  You can get it from anywhere you can, bought or not, just like with Windows.

Apple is way ahead in data and application integration.  This is where they're going to hurt Microsoft moving forward.

My personal preference is to pay a little extra for all the little extra things I get.  And it makes me happy.  Just like the egg wasn't cheap, but it too makes me happy.

·
    I have two Asus pc's never had an issue with them either
    My laptop is an 08 asus. It spent a year in Iraq, several months living in a tent in the desert of Cali and hasn't been treated very well. It works flawlessly and is amazingly fast, still.
    I have an Asus desktop, and two Acer HTPCs.  No problems with the desktop, but the HTPCs get a little flaky now and then.

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,810
    I don't buy into that yuppy, latte drinkin', vw drivin' hip marketing that Apple pushes.  I've used Microsoft operating systems for 22 years and used to be the IT manager for a lab with around 70 windows computers.  Fortunately I don't have to deal with hardware and software anymore, I think I'd lose it.  I've owned both Windows and Macs, and if I didn't, I wouldn't be making any comparisons here.

That said, consumerreports.org research shows them as breaking the least in the repair history graph, and every one of their notebooks is at the top of the ratings in it's respective category.  They're way more resistant to key-loggers, viruses, zombies and losing your personal information and identity theft.  That's important to me, and having the stability of a Unix kernel is important.

I never buy content from them, and you're not forced to.  You can get it from anywhere you can, bought or not, just like with Windows.

Apple is way ahead in data and application integration.  This is where they're going to hurt Microsoft moving forward.

My personal preference is to pay a little extra for all the little extra things I get.  And it makes me happy.  Just like the egg wasn't cheap, but it too makes me happy.
    300 dollars for a for windows 7 laptop or 1200 for an apple laptop, thats a little extra.
    :)) lets do a comparison, 3 dollars for a gallon of everyday gasoline for the car or 12 dollars a gallon for the better gas
    ·
    My notebook is just a tool I use.  I want to work fast in an ergonomic environment.  I calculate I spend an average of 7 hours a day on it (work, plus home use).  Over an expected lifetime of 4 years before I'll upgrade, that's over 10,000 hours of my time.  For an equivalent windows computer (hardware specs) - maybe $450 for a consumer notebook, $800 for a professional level notebook (like Lenovo Thinkpad).   That's not much money over that amount of time.  And it's not a consumable, it's a durable good.
    :))

·
  • It's apple and orange comparison to me. I personally prefer PC because I get to build it with the parts to control what I want the hardware to be in my system rather than buy the already built PC. The high quality specs PC are a lot cheaper if built rather than buy a already built PC or an imac. I find it fun to build it and get it running. I never had a problem with my PC and it is running so smooth for me at a blazing speed. I use my PC for gaming especially with the fact that it is superior for the gaming to the gaming console due to the huge difference in the graphics quality. If it is just for the simplicity with browsing, photo editing, handling some documents, or some necessary tasks then the Apple is best to use since it is well built compared to the PC with how well constructed it is. PC can do it, but they tend to put in some third party hardware crap into it and fill it up with the junk applications especially with the HP. As for the laptop, I'm all way with the Apple. It is just that I play games and I prefer PC for it with the bigger list of games to play with. For the PC I built, it cost me 1,200 with a lot searching for the right deals.

i7-2600k
    Asus Sabertooth z77 mobo
    12 GB corsair ddr3 2000mhz
    Asus gtx 580
    120 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (for OS and small programs)
    1 TB SATA 3 WD Black Caviar (for games, large sized programs, and media)
     Already had an Antec power supply and case
    Free copy of window 7

I guarantee you that any imac won't overpower it at this price range and if I want Apple os and I always can build a hackintosh to save some serious money.   
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,810
    i spend a similar amount of time running engineering calculations on pressure vessels with my 300 hundred dollar model, i dont think ill ever buy an expensive computer again, did that years ago with a dell, nope, never again
    :Dmy work environment is nasty, metal grit and fumes everywhere, i get a max of two years out of a printer copier before its completely worn out from grinding grit so this 300 dollar model is gold with a cheap replacement if it bites the dust and it will. the mac would bite the dust here too. when i ran the bigger towers here like the dell i had it cleaned of smoke and metal dust regularly. so everyone has a point, i want something that lasts two years, then new
    ·
  • I have an Asus desktop, and two Acer HTPCs.  No problems with the desktop, but the HTPCs get a little flaky now and then.

I like to run Ubuntu linux on my HTPC, more specifically XBMCBuntu.  (http://xbmc.org/)  I have the HTPC running a SSD drive and connected to a large networked drive with blu-ray rips.

We could also get into a Windows vs Mac vs Linux discussion. 

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • i spend a similar amount of time running engineering calculations on pressure vessels with my 300 hundred dollar model, i dont think ill ever buy an expensive computer again, did that years ago with a dell, nope, never again
    :Dmy work environment is nasty, metal grit and fumes everywhere, i get a max of two years out of a printer copier before its completely worn out from grinding grit so this 300 dollar model is gold with a cheap replacement if it bites the dust and it will. the mac would bite the dust here too. when i ran the bigger towers here like the dell i had it cleaned of smoke and metal dust regularly. so everyone has a point, i want something that lasts two years, then new
    What I do is update the necessary hardware when it is outdated and it is a lot cheaper than buying a brand new PC rig.It is just me.
    ·

Like I said the more I read, the more obvious it is that it's all about personal preference and choice.  The extra cost is well worth it for some and not others.  I don't think anyone on here has any problem paying way more for an egg than a webber.  I know lots of people who would never even think of paying 1K+ for a BBQ.

I do have to say though with all the computing devices that I own, my iPad is probably my favorite device.

George
    ·
  • gte1 said:

Like I said the more I read, the more obvious it is that it's all about personal preference and choice.  The extra cost is well worth it for some and not others.  I don't think anyone on here has any problem paying way more for an egg than a webber.  I know lots of people who would never even think of paying 1K+ for a BBQ.

I do have to say though with all the computing devices that I own, my iPad is probably my favorite device.

Exactly, it is orange and apple comparison that is based on people's personal preference. Some will think it is a joke to pay that price while some swear it is worth the hefty price. 
    ·
    edited September 2012
    Yep.  Use the right tool for the job.   I probably open and close the clam shell on my mac about 5 or 6 times a day, with different internet connections, sometimes a monitor hooked up, sometimes not.  I never had much luck with Winderz notebooks there - always some annoying idiosyncrasy.  Now, I open the lid, and immediately ready to work.  Shut the lid, ready to stow in bag. 

If for some reason (very rarely happens) I have to power off the computer, it'll come back up after boot with everything exactly the way it was - even changes in  unsaved documents.  so nice.  And I can zip through 10,000 lines of code with the two finger touch pad scrolling feature in a couple of seconds. 

And it automatically backs up when I'm home.

·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    had PC's for years even did repairs on them i finally got tired of redoing the family PC from web site my kids would play games on .picked up a older intel imac never had a problem again .now i have the 27inch imac daughter has the 21 and wife has the mac mini all about a year old   one printer shared over the house network . we al have ipod touches and apple tv .recently found the old lamp shade imac that pretty cool looking and works great for internet its a pretty cool nostalgia piece also have a older intel white macbook none of our systems are running a anti virus program and another plus the new OS for apple is only 20bucks compared to a windows upgrade of a 100 or more depending what grade of windows you want 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
    Nola:
    Who sells the caddy? Apple? Can you point me on the right direction?
    Thanks

Felipe
    try OWC http://eshop.macsales.com
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • If you like Windows, you like Mac - about 6 years ago. Win 7 finally implemented features that my first Mac had in 2007. Windows, from day one, has been a knock-off of Mac OS. Why wait?

But since this is a BGE forum, a Mac is the equivalent of a BGE. Most Wintel pc's are the Webbers.  ;)
    ·
  • Remember late 90s, windows had a monopoly and apple was crying and suing. I remember
    ·
    Until they ported the OS to Unix and got off those Power PC processors, I wasn't very excited about them.   Yeah, I had a G4. 

Now, it's totally different....empowering, like a Three Wolf Moon T-Shirt. 

·
  • gte1 said:

I agree. I've owned windows computers since I've had a computer. Recently got first MacBook pro bc it was a gift. I enjoy it just as much as any other pc, no more or less. Def better built but most windows I've owned have been entry level or midrange. Nothing top of the line to adequately compare. I work on mobile OS for my job and I have 2-5 phones any given time (2 that I'm using now are not out yet) and for phones I enjoy both android and iOS. But my fav piece of technology ever, more than phone or ps3 or hd tv, is my iPad. I'd give up my phone before my iPad. I do 98% of my online time on it. I have all 3 generations in my house currently (son, wife, and me) and it has almost completely replaced my laptop. My MacBook is used mostly to store my digital files
    Boom
    ·

• I guess I drank a little too much of Steve Job's lemonade ;)  The only permanent computers are the Lamp Shade 15" iMac, 17" first generation Intel iMac and my 15" MacBook Pro.

Gerhard

image My home office, I updated the OS on our companies computers.

My work desk, 24" iMac.

·
    gte1 said:

I agree. I've owned windows computers since I've had a computer. Recently got first MacBook pro bc it was a gift. I enjoy it just as much as any other pc, no more or less. Def better built but most windows I've owned have been entry level or midrange. Nothing top of the line to adequately compare. I work on mobile OS for my job and I have 2-5 phones any given time (2 that I'm using now are not out yet) and for phones I enjoy both android and iOS. But my fav piece of technology ever, more than phone or ps3 or hd tv, is my iPad. I'd give up my phone before my iPad. I do 98% of my online time on it. I have all 3 generations in my house currently (son, wife, and me) and it has almost completely replaced my laptop. My MacBook is used mostly to store my digital filesI

I bought my iPad when my laptop died.  I have not one time missed that bulky, battery sucking device since.  I also do 90+% of everything ouside of work on my iPad.  I have a beautiful PC with 27" screen and pretty much only use it to do photo processing, and occasional internet surfing.

I do like the andriod phone a lot better than the current iPhone though.

George
    ·
    I prefer the android phone over the iphone.  Have both an android tablet and ipad.  Both are nice, but mostly use them for quick lookups, cooking, and of course, monitoring the BGE forums.

·
  • inkyoninkyon Posts: 88
    edited September 2012
    Andriod is better because it can be customized and have way more capabilities than an iphone. Ipad is great and I love nexus 7 even more while I would've prefer it to be little more bigger. 
    ·
  • OutcastOutcast Posts: 112
    Remember late 90s, windows had a monopoly and apple was crying and suing. I remember
    I remember when I had to have a 5 1/4" floppy with Microsoft DOS just to "boot up" an apple II. 
    I remember having a commodore Vic 20 with a cassette deck for data storage.
    I remember having to compile punch cards on a mainframe.

PC or Apple, we have come a LOOOONG way.

Oh crap....I'm getting old.
    ·
  • Yeah.. I dont remember that.. Im 27..so i was like 8 when that was going on
    ·

Yeah.. I dont remember that.. Im 27..so i was like 8 when that was going on
    I just hit 46 and I was 8 when I got the VIC 20 ! 
    ·
    Outcast said:
    Remember late 90s, windows had a monopoly and apple was crying and suing. I remember
    I remember when I had to have a 5 1/4" floppy with Microsoft DOS just to "boot up" an apple II. 

i remember do you remember the intellivision least i think i do senility is a pain lol 
    ·
    bigphil said:
    Outcast said:

i remember do you remember the intellivision least i think i do senility is a pain lol 
    Yes sir, had the Intellivision as well. 
    :D
    ·