Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Accessory

syrsuds
syrsuds Posts: 6
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
My Children got me the XLRG egg for a gift.  I love it but my wife and I are now empty nesters and it is too big to use for just the two of us.which is great but, can make it difficult for small amounts of grilling.  So I have come up with a accessory.  “The Big Green Egg Grilling Ring”.  As you can see you can condense the charcoal which makes it ignite much faster and uses less.  Added bonus…you can grill directly and indirectly over the same fire at the same time.  You can also place the charcoal around the outside.  Also going to get a smaller grill that will sit right on top of it for hot searing.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Very cool. Glad it works for you, but just so you know (and not to take away from what you did), you came up with something that is already being made and sold at the Ceramic Grill Store. Lump Reducing Rings

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• syrsuds said:
    My Children got me the XLRG egg for a gift.  I love it but my wife and I are now empty nesters and it is too big to use for just the two of us.which is great but, can make it difficult for small amounts of grilling.  So I have come up with a accessory.  “The Big Green Egg Grilling Ring”.  As you can see you can condense the charcoal which makes it ignite much faster and uses less.  Added bonus…you can grill directly and indirectly over the same fire at the same time.  You can also place the charcoal around the outside.  Also going to get a smaller grill that will sit right on top of it for hot searing.

• Thanks much Griffin for the info.  I should have checked with you first. Hope I'm doing this posting right.
  • Griffin
    You don't have to check with me now (or ever) about anything. I was just letting you know. So what did you make yours out of?

Rowlett, Texas

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    BTW, doesn't exist without pics.      ;)

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tazcrash said:

Check @syrsuds profile pic, I think that's his solution. 
    Hey @syrsuds, somehow, even when you find something available that solved a problem in the same manner you did on your own, it still always feels good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I know a mechanical contractor that cut it for me out of schedule 40 black iron pipe.  It will last forever.  I had a picture added but the forum said my post was 11,889 characters too long.  Is that because the photo was too high def?  I thought the site automatically re sized them.
  • Thanks gentlemen!  For a brief moment there I though I was pretty clever.  New to the site and enjoying it.
  • Griffin

BTW, I didn't mean to come off sounding mean or anything. I was thinking about it when I was driving home and felt a little bad. Sometimes intentions get misunderstood on forums and I hope that isn't the case here. I was just pointing out that somebody else has done it. I think it is awesome that you saw a problem and came up with a solution by yourself. I envy people who have skills in metal and can make things like that, rather than having to purchase a pre-made item. Wish I could do things like that.

So, I'd like to start fresh and wish you a warm welcome here to the Egghead Forum. Can't wait to see some pics of your cooks and what you are doing on your Egg.

Rowlett, Texas

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Griffin said:

BTW, I didn't mean to come off sounding mean or anything. I was thinking about it when I was driving home and felt a little bad. Sometimes intentions get misunderstood on forums and I hope that isn't the case here. I was just pointing out that somebody else has done it. I think it is awesome that you saw a problem and came up with a solution by yourself. I envy people who have skills in metal and can make things like that, rather than having to purchase a pre-made item. Wish I could do things like that.

So, I'd like to start fresh and wish you a warm welcome here to the Egghead Forum. Can't wait to see some pics of your cooks and what you are doing on your Egg.

=D>

Nicely done bro.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• No No No...Not at all Griffin.  You were most helpful and kind.  As I said, I am enjoying all of you crazy Eggheads.  All the best.
  • All of you crazy eggheads? You smell like one yourself...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  •  

All of you crazy eggheads? You smell like one yourself...
    That's funny!  My wife was sleeping when I cranked up the Egg for my butt last weekend.  I snuck into the bedroom for something and she grogily said "You smell like the Egg."
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    take that as a badge of pride...
  • That's too funny, my wife says the same thing. This ring that you are using, are what some people use for cold smoking to hold extremely low temps. I'll have to create one as well, I'd much rather craft something than to fork out a pretty penny on every accessory.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852

tazcrash said:

Check @syrsuds profile pic, I think that's his solution. 
    Hey @syrsuds, somehow, even when you find something available that solved a problem in the same manner you did on your own, it still always feels good. 

Thanks and thanks for the real pic
    Hard to see on a phone.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!