Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is 8.8 lbs enough

volntitan
volntitan Posts: 95
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So doing a long cook on Saturday of pork butt.  3 6+ pound butts.  I stopped at Publix yesterday and got a back of their lump charcoal after reading some good reviews on the Whiz and wasn't a lot of options in Franklin, TN.  So question is, is 8.8 lbs enough to do this cook or should I grab some more?  If anyone in the Franklin/Nashville has good lead on some really good lump, bring it on!

Comments

• That should be more than enough, I think on my large if I fill up to the top of the fire ring it is about 5 lbs of lump.

Edina, MN

• Thanks...another question if you don't mind.  Just called a local butcher (considered to be the "it" butcher in Nashville).  Asked them if they have lump charcoal and they said that they actually have someone make the charcoal for them from local wood.  The guy goes to the lumber mills in his area (not sure where they would be in Tennessee) and gets the trimmings and creates the charcoal.  It is a little more expensive so not sure if I want to "risk" it.  Has anyone had any experience with "hand made local charcoal" before?
  • I am in Pleasant View. Have you checked at the Pool & Spa Depot in Antioch? They should carry the Wicked Good lump which is supposed to be one of the best.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    Three six # butts will cook like each is a stand-alone butt ( with a slight delay til the BGE recovers from 18#'s of cold meat shock) so cook time depends on your dome temp.  Given that you are looking at around 12 hrs max (2hrs/#) you have plenty of lump.  I would fill about 1/3 up the fire ring (LBGE as a reference) (see TNW's site for a great read on pulled pork and fire building) and let her rip.  Moniotr each one separately (if you can) once you approach the finish line as they can finish a few hours apart.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I have called Pool and Spa Depot, but right now, Antioch is a haul for me to try to get to after work.  They are opening a cool springs store which will be great for me.

The butcher I'm talking about is Porter Road Butcher.  They have that hand made charcoal.  $25 for a 20ish pound bag, so not the cheapest by any means.  
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Embers on Moores Lane just west of 65 carries wicked good and BGE lump in 20# bags.  The Walmart on Malory lane should have 8.8# red bags of Royal Oak.  The Harpeth True Value on Columbia Blvd carries BGE (21.95) and I think Cowboy (a little cheaper) in 20# bags.  You can also have Ozark Oak shipped in for around $20 per bag including shipping.

What size egg do you have?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    Have you checked out the Butcher Block in Cool Springs?  A bit pricey but carry lots of prime and choice.

Waunakee, WI

• Thanks DLK.  I did check Butcher Block and they have Cowboy and Primo.  

The last time I went to Embers, they didn't have Wicked Good.  I need to check them out again.  Wonder how much they charge.
  • dlk7
    Also, Halls Hill Charcoal is out of Murfreesboro and they make all sorts of specialty charcoal - shag bark hickory, pecan, black cherry, etc.  The taste is exceptional and I don't use wood chunks with this lump.  However, it is much more expensive than Wicked or BGE in Franklin. 

Waunakee, WI

• I had a 8.8 lb bag burn for 32 hrs in my xl.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Hmmm...I'll have to make a trip to Murfreesboro at some point...
  • dlk7

You can also buy Wicked Good on line at Ace hardware and they will ship for free to your nearest Ace.  If you sign up for their rewards card, you will get 10 and 20 percent off coupons from time to time that brings the price down to $16 to $18 for 20 pound bags.

Todd Pittman from the Smokin FyrPit BBQ team brought down 200 pounds of Dragon Breath from Missouri a couple of months ago when he was in town visiting relatives.  Awesome lump for high heat and lo and slow.

Waunakee, WI

• Wonder if he has any more Dragon Breath available...
  • I assume you have used Wicked Good...what's your thoughts on it?

Have you heard of the Lump at Porter Road Butcher?
  • dlk7
    volntitan said:
    Hmmm...I'll have to make a trip to Murfreesboro at some point...
    Which dealer did you get your egg from and what size do you have?  Like Travis, I've gone over 24 hours on 8.8 pounds with plenty left over on my XLs.

Waunakee, WI

• The Hearth and Grill shop on Thompson lane has an all oak charcoal.  I can't remember the name of it at the moment.  Its around $18 for a 20lb bag last time I picked some up.  I'm pretty picky about going too cheap ever since I tried the Harris Teeter brand.  Its a mix of whatever wood the have on hand.  It has a really bad smoke taste.  I'm glad that I was only baking bread at the time.  I would have really been irritated if I had ruined some meat with it.  I've been sticking with BGE and Wicked Good ever since then.

• I got the Publix because seemed to have good reviews.  Now I'm rethinking it.

I got the Egg as a gift a few years ago.  I'm sure my father got it at Hearth and Grill.  Everytime I've called them to ask about their charcoal, it was like pulling teeth, so stopped dealing with them.
  • BGEXL_Nick
    BGEXL_Nick Posts: 88
    edited September 2012
    The used to have a younger guy there that had worked for BGE.  He was a great source of info.  Haven't seen him the last couple trips so no idea if he's still there.  At this point I know what I want so I have minimal interactions with the staff.

Never tried the Publix brand.  Hopefully, it will be good for you. 
  • I may return it and either try the Wicked Good or the homemade charcoal they have at Porter Road Butcher.  Of course if that stuff "sucks", I'm stuck with it.
  • Publix brand lump is really good. I usually use that, Kroger, or Royal Oak. I used to use Wicked Good, but the others I mentioned are just about as good IMO. Plus a lot cheaper.
  • I don't think PUblix brand is any cheaper.  Was still like $8 for an 8.8 lb bag.
  • Wow. 8.8 pound Publix lump here is $4.99.
  • Man...that is a huge difference.  I could be wrong on the price though.  Maybe it was $5.99 instead of $7.99.  How do you find the size of the pieces?
  • Really good.  I found that Wicked Good lump had too many large pieces for my taste (sometimes too big is too big--yes I know you can break them apart into smaller pieces easy enough).  RO, Publix, and Kroger all has good sized lump for me.  I never had a bad bag in the 2 plus years I have used them.

I just can't justify spending $21.99-24.99 for a 40 pound bag of lump when it isn't that much of a difference for the price.  This coming from someone who buys every little BBQ gadget, rub, and sauce I can.

• Sounds good.  I was hoping for some good sized pieces since figured that would be better for low and slow.
  • I just bought my LBGE from the Hearth and Grill Shop a few weeks ago. The guy who sold it to me said he used to work for BGE. Seemed fairly knowledgable.
  • I found the all oak brand that the sell there.  All natural charcoal (http://www.allnaturalcharcoal.com).  The piece size can vary from bag to bag but I've always been happy with it.  

Glad to see there are so many local BGE owners on here.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited September 2012
    volntitan said:
    Sounds good.  I was hoping for some good sized pieces since figured that would be better for low and slow.
    I used to stack large to small lump.  Now I just dump the bag in and light.  To be honest I see no difference.  Dumping 5-6 pounds (to the firebox) lasts me for way over 20 hours on a low and slow. No reason to make it difficult.
  • Yes...it is in east nashville
  • http://www.acehardware.com/mystore/storeLocator.jsp#Franklin, Tn|30

Order Wicked Good and have it shipped for pickup at your local Ace Hardware.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!