Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big pack of side ribs with breast attached

Options
GlennM
GlennM Posts: 1,365
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi:

I have done plenty of back ribs with great results -- I usually do them at 250 dome with drip pan - sometimes foil - sometimes not.  Always turn out fantastic on the large.  I have never tried side ribs !   I have a large cryo pac that I just picked up at the local discount food store - the rack is about 9" x 18" -- look very meaty and were a great deal.  The label says side ribs with breast.   Should I just use my normal method and leave them longer?  I may have to split them up to get them on the large?  Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks
Glenn
In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 

Comments

• GlennM
    Options
    Well, I'm putting these on today. Anyone have any insight? I will likely try 250 dome for 5 or 6 hours. I have both apple and cherry chunks for smoke
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Can you attach a pic? I'd like to follow this and see what you are talking about. Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Glenn,

I make the same assumption you do.  I'd probably cook them the normal way and just add more time.  Be careful though, the meat close to the bones may overcook while you are waiting on the rib meat to finish.  Depending on how thick/dense, you may have to remove the rib meat and cook separately.  I've done something similar before and eaten the breast meat during the day while cooking the ribs.  I've always referred to at as the "cook's snack."
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    This sounds like of like the rack of pork Costco sells a few times a year.  Think frenched rack of lamb, but from a pig.  You could do them low and slow, or a bit faster at around 350F.  Cook to about 145F. 

Post a pic...or just search here for rack of pork (look at the pics), and let us know if it's a match.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
  • GlennM
    Options
    Ok, thanks for the suggestions. I trimmed them up and did them at 250 for 6 hours. I foiled them for about an hour of that time. Finished them up with sauce indirect. They came out great but took a lot longer than back ribs. I would maybe try them turbo next time if I see them again. I still have the trimmings vac sealed in the freezer. I may sous vide those and then smoke them for an hour?