Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Pineapple - Great Invention

Options
Z_Eggineer
Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

That is all.  Whoever invented this, I thank you.  (I know I am possibly using the word "invention" incorrectly, an inside joke)

Marinated it in some dark rum and brown sugar, then grilled and served a la mode. Magic in my mouth!

Comments

• alexwolf1216
    alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
    Options
     I am going to grill some for a Luau this weekend. I was considering the Costco spears, but they are sort of large. Did you use rings?
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I will hijack this one.. Z, is there a cook off in Martinez (ca?) this weekend? If so where at? If I find time, I'd try to go.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I use rings and then marinate in Rum or some Makers Mark. A little brown sugar with a hint of cayenne pepper.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2012
    Options

I do the dark rum and brown sugar with PineappleHead as well.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Mickey- you don't core the pineapple? Or do you eat around it?..I've never found it to be edible.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I use the rings and marinate with Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head and Maker's Mark for 30 minutes to an hour.  Grill on cast iron grate for nice sear marks.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Z_Eggineer
    Options

I used spears from a fresh pineapple.  When I eat the core, it gets stuck in my teeth.  (Yes, sometimes I try to eat "unedible" things)  I love the idea of DP, but like to make my own rubs based on fun and price.

I might use rings next time.  Does anyone know how to make the pineapple absorb more marinade?  I am planning to get a different grate for better marks.

BYS, yes there is one, but deadline to sign-up was 6/8.  Feel free to come say hi though!

http://www.countybbq.com/

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    What is the mix ratio? Do you sprinkle any brown sugar on the pineapple after you start grilling?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Mickey
    Options
    Mickey- you don't core the pineapple? Or do you eat around it?..I've never found it to be edible.

I eat around it. Understand some people eat it.

95% of the time it is cored when I cook it.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    I use the rings and marinate with Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head and Maker's Mark for 30 minutes to an hour.  Grill on cast iron grate for nice sear marks.
    I marinate myself with Maker's and cut it up like Mickey, brown sugar and cinnamon with vanilla ice cream.  To quote my hero Larry David "Pretty, pretty, pretty good."

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    I don't measure ratios for this, but some might.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Do you folk have any suggestions for us "weird" non alcohol type people?
    The alcohol cooks out, but pineapple head is great on it's own.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • BYS1981
    Options

BYS, yes there is one, but deadline to sign-up was 6/8.  Feel free to come say hi though!

Z,

I am so going to be there.  I just showed my wife the link and it had me at the BBQ comp, but you really had me at the microbreweries and wineries.  Then in addition I had sold it to the wife at petting zoo, haha!

Thanks for the weekend plans.  I will probably be stopping by sometime Saturday, what booth will you be at?  I will def try to come stop by and say hi!

• Z_Eggineer
    Options

My friends in Martinez say it's a great event.  If you into microbreweries and wineries, Viano Winery, Ale Industries Brewery, and EJ Phair Brewery are all super close. Check for hours.  My significant other also loves animals.  I guess that is why she is dating me! haha

We will have "Eggineer" team.  Basically look for 2 nerds with 2 eggs on Sunday.

You don't have to use anything on the fruit, just if you want more/different flavor.  Vanilla might be good too. (did you know vanilla has alcohol in it?)

• BYS1981
    Options
    I have been to EJ Phair in Concord once, but my wife wasn't a fan. We truthfully end up at the sushi place, across the park, a lot more. I am hoping to go to Monument Wine and Spirits today, off Monument BLVD, and grab a Pliney, Blind Pig, or Damnation.. anyhow, I could go on forever. Best of luck this weekend.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    There is a really good sushi place in Martinez.  We go to EJ Phair b/c it is local and close to work.  Any of the stuff from Russian River is really good and we love it.  Thank you.  We are currently deep in the detailed preparation phase.  Thanks, hope to see you.
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    edited June 2012
    Options

For those that have family or friends that can't have alcohol for health/religous reasons, this is bad info. It's been proven that it takes a very long time to cook off an appreciable amount. A flambe leaves you with 75%. A 2.5 hour braise will Still leave you with 5%. Google it. The study gave a long list of examples. In my kitchen it doesn't matter. There's alcohol in almost everything, even the air. Just want to pass on the facts.
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Options

I used spears from a fresh pineapple.  When I eat the core, it gets stuck in my teeth.  (Yes, sometimes I try to eat "unedible" things)  I love the idea of DP, but like to make my own rubs based on fun and price.

I might use rings next time.  Does anyone know how to make the pineapple absorb more marinade?  I am planning to get a different grate for better marks.

Hi all-  My first post.

As a backpacker affiliated with a local boy scout troop we dehydrate most of our food to save on food cost.  One way to concentrate flavor in food is to partially dehydrate the fruit (pineapple in this case) and then marinate for a period of time and then repeat cycle a couple of times.  Have not tried an alcohol based infusion though...

Pineapple dehydrates very nicely and does not turn brown as it dries.  In fact, pineapple juice is used to coat apple slices prior to dehydrating to prevent the brown appearing.  This gives me a possible dessert idea- partially dehydrate apples slices, marinate in pineapple juice, repeat, and then grill apple slices infused with pineapple juice!!  Might be really good.

Don't own an egg yet, trying to convince myself that it is worth the cost.  Definitely leaning towards a "yes" at this point.  I do love cooking outside...
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options

For those that have family or friends that can't have alcohol for health/religous reasons, this is bad info. It's been proven that it takes a very long time to cook off an appreciable amount. A flambe leaves you with 75%. A 2.5 hour braise will Still leave you with 5%. Google it. The study gave a long list of examples. In my kitchen it doesn't matter. There's alcohol in almost everything, even the air. Just want to pass on the facts.
    True. Perhaps I should left the alcohol cooking factor out of this. I was trying to make the point that Pineapple Head was good on it's own, without any alcohol additions.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    edited June 2012
    Options

Agreed. I usually just brush fruit with oil(something flavorless) and sprinkle the pineapple head or cinnamon & sugar or sometimes leave it plain and grill.

Try ripe plantains and mango as well. Nothing beats grilled plantains!

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Hi all-  My first post.

As a backpacker affiliated with a local boy scout troop we dehydrate most of our food to save on food cost.  One way to concentrate flavor in food is to partially dehydrate the fruit (pineapple in this case) and then marinate for a period of time and then repeat cycle a couple of times.  Have not tried an alcohol based infusion though...

Pineapple dehydrates very nicely and does not turn brown as it dries.  In fact, pineapple juice is used to coat apple slices prior to dehydrating to prevent the brown appearing.  This gives me a possible dessert idea- partially dehydrate apples slices, marinate in pineapple juice, repeat, and then grill apple slices infused with pineapple juice!!  Might be really good.

Don't own an egg yet, trying to convince myself that it is worth the cost.  Definitely leaning towards a "yes" at this point.  I do love cooking outside...
    Buy the egg now so you don't have to post here next year about your regrets for waiting so long.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Mickey
    Options

I always use the Pineapple Head and the brown sugar. I use the Rum; just to get the Rum (it is fine w/o it).

Just use brown sugar and it is still outstanding.

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I did this Mon for dessert. I soaked pineapple in capt Morgan, brown sugar and cinnamon for about 4-5 hours. Got grill nice and hot and cooked each side for 1-2 minutes and put immediately on some vanilla bean ice cream. Was good and every loved. Thanks for the idea.
    Boom
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Grilled pineapple is great with or without alcohol, (but I will try the rum method). I make a dessert   that guests love.  I fill parfait cups with a 50-50 mixture of whipped cream (I admit I use the stuff in a can) with mascarpone and stick the grilled pineapple into the mixture in the cups.  If available I will put a couple mint leave in. I make it ahead of time, keep in the fridge  and surprise guests with something most have never seen or heard about.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Grilled pineapple is great with or without alcohol, (but I will try the rum method). I make a dessert   that guests love.  I fill parfait cups with a 50-50 mixture of whipped cream (I admit I use the stuff in a can) with mascarpone and stick the grilled pineapple into the mixture in the cups.  If available I will put a couple mint leave in. I make it ahead of time, keep in the fridge  and surprise guests with something most have never seen or heard about.

That sounds good. I will steal that too. I did a few without the capt Morgan but kept other ingredients the same bc couple pregnant women there. There was a taste diff, so if you like rum add otherwise skip. I love grilled pineapple on a grilled chicken sandwich with avocado and grilled bacon.
    Boom
  • EggRacer
    Options
    We love grilled pineapple with Pineapple Head. I haven't tried soaking in liquor but might give that a shot very soon.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX