Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Rack vs Grate

Options
MikeP624
MikeP624 Posts: 292
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I need to make 6 racks of baby back ribs in my large bge.  I have the AR, so doing 4 racks laying flat is not a problem.  I was thinking of buying some type of rack so the ribs can stand on there side.  Does this affect the cooking technique?  Anybody have a recommendation on a good rib rack?  I would do 2 racks laying flat on the lower AR level, and the rib rack on the top level.  Hopefully there will also be room for some ABTs or something.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    I think you would have trouble getting the dome closed. I can usually get three racks on a flat grid if I shape them a little. Six on the AR with a single level

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MikeP624
    Options
    Thanks. i never thought about having enought head room with them standing on there sides.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    The green egg rib rack will fit 6 racks on your large. I've done that cook a quit a few times. It also doubles as v rack.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Mike, I have the folding rack extender that works (ok) gets a little hectic when you rotate and sauce. I have done 6 racks that way but now I just keep it to no more than 3.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I have seen pictures of 6 being cooked on an adjustable rig but I believe you need to use the spider to hold a pizza stone for the indirect cook. It could be a tight fit depending on the size of the ribs if you're trying not to overlap the ribs.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • chrisnjenn
    Options
    EggRacer said:
    I have seen pictures of 6 being cooked on an adjustable rig but I believe you need to use the spider to hold a pizza stone for the indirect cook. It could be a tight fit depending on the size of the ribs if you're trying not to overlap the ribs.

Six St Louis style racks (which are larger than baby backs) can easily fit flat on the adj rig (sliding system with oval grates) using the extender and the oval stone (great for a rib cook) on the first level of the rig.  They can fit without the ribs touching.

You can do 8 racks without touching (flat) with the extender on the adj rig using the spider and pizza stone on that.

• xraypat23
    Options
    I do 6 racks all the time, with the round stone on my ar! Drip pan and foil overhanging to block the direct heat. I use a weber rib rack and put 3 standing up on the bottom level, and 3 laying flat on the top.