Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

1st post - Carbonara Pizza!

EggucatorEggucator Posts: 186
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
First time posting on the forum but wanted to share an awesome pizza recipe I tried tonight for family pizza night.  

I started with a small skillet on medium heat.  I added a drizzle of EVOO and cooked 1/4lb or so of bacon to crispy in it(Pancetta might be better).  I took the bacon and let cool in a bowl and then added about 1 cup of ricotta cheese, ~1/4 cup romano cheese, 2 eggs(beaten), and 1-2 cloves of garlic and mixed very well.  I then spread the ricotta bacon mixture on the dough and topped it all with 2 cups of provolone cheese.  

Let the egg get between 550-600.  Put the PS and stone in and let warm up for 45 minutes and then put the pizza in for 8-10 minutes.  Came out great!

The girls ate half of before I could grab my camera.  
LBGE
Zionsville, IN

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,453
    Welcome to the forum. Great first post and an interesting pizza. What was the crust?
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,453
    My first attempt of home made dough will be this weekend. Have been using Wegman's dough and working on getting them round. Taking it to the next level now.
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,369
    edited September 2012
    Great looking pizza, with some unusual topping. Welcome, and keep posting you have a lot to add. 
    Once you get the hang of it, making your own pizza dough is a snap and you will wonder what the problem or fear of trying it was all about. We have a pie at least once a week, varies between thin crust, pan crust, veggie, meat (usually Italian sausage) and the odd stuffed. The BGE does a great job with them all. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • Gotta hammer out a 'za.  Any recipes for a quality thin crust?  I will take anything I can get that's short, sweet, and simple.  
    Anybody ever do a wheat crust?
  • Gotta hammer out a 'za.  Any recipes for a quality thin crust?  I will take anything I can get that's short, sweet, and simple.  

My wife has. I dunno if it's correct way but she just does same recipe except wheat flour instead of white. Taste great to me but it's only when she's on a health kick and we happen to wont pizza, bread or cheese sticks

XLBGE 
  • KingRoverKingRover Posts: 115
    edited September 2012

Watch out for the pizza nazi!

My wife insists on using wheat when she makes dough, but she mixes it with bread flour to help make it more like "real" pizza dough. Not sure what the ratio is, but its maybe around 1:1? I'm going to try 00 flour and mix it, as has been suggested. Trader Joe's makes a decent wheat dough, I haven't tried Publix's, but they make one too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention - Nice looking carbonara @eggucator! Looking forward to seeing more creative pizza.
  • Carbonara Pizza!  It's now on the list... great idea, thanks!  :D
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,308

Watch out for the pizza nazi!

=)) he might go ballistic when he reads this!

@Eggucator Great looking pizza and first post. Can't wait to try this one. Keep 'em coming, if they are half as good as this one, you've got some great things to share with us.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin is just jealous!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,308
    Jealous that I didn't get a slice? Sure thing. ;)

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Simple ingredients, amazing results!