Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Another bacon question...

nysportsfannysportsfan Posts: 241
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I loved the first round of bacon so much I did another...or so I hope.

Last time I used a recipe for 2lbs of bacon (including pink salt). After popular demand I bought 4lbs...but only used the recipe for 2lbs of cure. I didn;t realize until today, day 6 or 7, and it still feels a bit soft (wormy, as people describe it). Did I ruin it? Can I just leave it in longer until it cures? What should I do? Take out and wash and add another round of cure? Would love some help here...
·

Comments

• I would not wash off the original cure. Just add enough cure now to get it to the correct amount for 4 pounds of meat. (Add the same amount that you used when you started out 7 days ago.)  You should be ok after the proper cure concentration sets for a few more days.
    ·
  • So I just took it out again, about 8 days in and its firming up. Should I still reapply more cure mixture?
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,961
    The salt draws water out, firms it up.  Just need to add more salt.  And spice.  I'd error on less nitrite than too much.  Bacon is made all the time without it.

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,961
    But if you halved the recipe for the weight, no problem with more curing salts.

·
  • Based  on your comments, you applied only one half of the recommended cure to the 4 pounds of pork belly. If you smoke the belly at this point, it will not likely give you the same results that you got on your previous bacon adventure. If you want the same results with this batch, you should add the additional cure. If you are impatient, go ahead and smoke the sucker. Who knows, you may actually find that you prefer a lighter cure after all.
    ·
  • Thanks guys, i will add a bit more, since I did really enjoy the dirst batch
    ·
  • GlennMGlennM Posts: 405
    Does anyone know where to get cure (nitrate) in Canada? I made some bacon without it, was good but not a great colour. Also, shouldn't you remove the skin for a deeper smoke flavor?
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
    ·
  • Did you try a local butcher?
    ·
  • GlennM said:
    Does anyone know where to get cure (nitrate) in Canada? I made some bacon without it, was good but not a great colour. Also, shouldn't you remove the skin for a deeper smoke flavor?
    http://www.canadacompound.com/contactus.php

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·