Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Way off topic) for coffee drinkers

2»

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited September 2012
    gerhardk said:
    When people resort to negative comments of the choices of others to convince themselves or others that they have made the right decision it just shows their insecurity. 

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but it appears that you think we should not express our opinion about a product that we don't like for fear we might offend someone who does like it.  I value people's critiques of products, positive and negative, and I will make my own independent decisions about them, based largely on personal interaction with them, or failing in that, opinions of others who have experienced them.

I would hope that we can keep the dialog open for both positive and negative reviews.  However, if someone disses another because of their choice, I agree that it is uncalled for.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited September 2012
    There is critique and then there are baseless ignorant rants, most people can tell the difference.  Critique is fact based rants are bias based.

Gerhard
  • Nuthin' wrong with timmies. At least you can order in English....or French I guess

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nuthin' wrong with timmies. At least you can order in English....or French I guess
    I've been to a Timmies that you could order in Persian or Farsi. (it was in Kandahar Afghanistan.)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • troutgeek said:

Starbucks coffee is alright. But i tend to be a non comformist when it comes to stuff like that. It seems Like some people buy into the image.. Instead of the coffee... Kind of like Apple users:)

OK now. Considering we are on a BGE site, this is funny. We could all get our ceramic grill fix with another product... There is an image associated with being an egg owner. (... and I run OS X and Windows on my MacBook. (Can't legally do that on a PC...))
    Glad someone got my point. Really there is nothing wrong with apple products(especially for the older generation) i just dislike their marketing scheme
    WHAT? Are you calling me old? Hey, I live in both worlds. I prefer the Apple editors, and for accessing Citrix Server, but I also need a VM for Windows to run SQL Server, and to access Juniper. I can access both environments from one small 13" laptop. I also frequently use my iPad or iPhone as a hub when I work from my local Starbucks.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
    I've been to a Timmies that you could order in Persian or Farsi. (it was in Kandahar Afghanistan.)
    Hangin out with Canucks are you Travis? Two points off for that

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• They had the only decent joe around. 

I spent 6 weeks at a time in our "outpost" aka a dirt and rock hovel we scratched out of the earth. We rotated back to the big base in Kandahar for refit. I would have drank duck piss if it had coffee in it. 

The Canucks had a timmies and a roller rink for hockey. I tipped my hat to them for keeping their priorities straight. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    troutgeek said:
    Starbucks coffee is alright. But i tend to be a non comformist when it comes to stuff like that. It seems Like some people buy into the image.. Instead of the coffee... Kind of like Apple users:)
    OK now. Considering we are on a BGE site, this is funny. We could all get our ceramic grill fix with another product... There is an image associated with being an egg owner. (... and I run OS X and Windows on my MacBook. (Can't legally do that on a PC...))
    Glad someone got my point. Really there is nothing wrong with apple products(especially for the older generation) i just dislike their marketing scheme
    WHAT? Are you calling me old? Hey, I live in both worlds. I prefer the Apple editors, and for accessing Citrix Server, but I also need a VM for Windows to run SQL Server, and to access Juniper. I can access both environments from one small 13" laptop. I also frequently use my iPad or iPhone as a hub when I work from my local Starbucks.
    Make a good product, and I'll buy it over the other guys....yeah, I run a VM 'cause I have a couple Windows apps I need to run - corporate stuff.  I've been fighting the urge to feel smug as a mac user...I'm afraid if I bought a Prius I'd start smelling my own farts (more enthusiastically than normal - South Park reference)....
    ...since it's literally "way off topic", I figure anything goes...

If you cant beat em................
  • nolaegghead
    Mix it up a little, intellectual spice picante....hell to the yeah...

• ...since it's literally "way off topic", I figure anything goes...

Off topic? I mentioned Starbucks!
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Typical American business strategy is to ruin everything good to make it marketable.  Make your own stuff and be happy and healthier.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Black coffee makes me happy, and I don't think there is any health benefits to drinking coffee I brew at home. I will say thank god for the Keurig, can have coffee without making a whole pot. Or using my press and drinking grinds. Starbucks does make the lil cups for the keurig and they are good, but they cost more (lame). I lean toward the Kona blend and the Nantucket usually.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

@ribnrun was just gonna say that about my keurig.. the wife bought me one this year and i do enjoy it and al the varieties of coffee it offers.

good stuff!

• My niece received a Keurig coffee maker as a wedding present and I agree the coffee tastes pretty darn good.   Most people don't figure out the cost per pound on these Keurig machines, it turns out to be $50+ per pound.  If I buy my Starbucks roasted beans at Costco I pay around $14 for 900 grams, about $7.10 per pound.  Now my DeLonghi Espresso maker cost a little more than the average K brand machine but after 1 1/2 years of ownership the savings have more than paid for the machine. We had a Starbucks espresso machine for 12 years before the DeLongi before it died because the pump broke, the appliance repair guy said he can replace the pump but at the age of our machine the boiler wouldn't last a lot longer and the two repairs would cost more than a replacement machine.

Gerhard
  • I have a La Faema espresso machine I bought in Italy back in 1977 and it still kicks out a mean cup of espresso.  It has its own adjustable grinder that it infinitely adjustable. They don't make machines like that anymore that are built to last a life time.  Lavazza and Illy make the best coffee in the world.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • In the northeast there is only 1 coffee place:  Dunkin Donuts! 
  • nolaegghead
    I have a Jura ena3 automatic.  Grinds and makes a cup (or two) in something like 90 seconds.
  • I've resisted the urge to get involved with this discussion until now.  I converted to using a Mac about 6 years ago.  I was sitting in a Starbucks with 3 other PC users who couldn't even get on line.  A guy came in, sat down and immediately started working.  He was using a Mac.  I drove to the Apple store that day bought two Macs and haven't looked back.  Once you own a Mac, you won't go back...  As for coffee, I roast my own now.  My wife says I've turned into a coffee snob.  I like to tweak my roasts to bring out the nuances of each bean variety.  Kind of like tweaking my cooks on the egg.  Where does it stop? I get obsessed with quality!!!
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)