Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked salmon

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, since you wonderful folks have been so helpful with everything else I've asked, here goes![p]I love smoked salmon, and I've had two tries so far on my egg with varying success. The first time I used the cedar plank, with the bourbon and honey recipe. The flavour was superb, but the texture was more like just cooked salmon than smoked salmon, I think because there is no pre-curing involved. The second time, I used the Eggtoberfest Canadian smoked salmon recipe, which tells you to coat the salmon in salt and sugar and leave for 24 hours. I cooked it on the cedar plank again, and this time the texture was great but it was so salty none of us could eat it. And we like salty food. [p]Anyone got a method that scores high for both texture and flavour?[p]Jill

Comments

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    Options
    Rooster Roaster,[p]I'm not sure what texture you are after, but I also love salmon, smoked. I squirt lemon juice on one side with Paul Prudhomme's Salmon Seasoning, turn her over and squirt lime juice with another helping of seasoning.[p]The egg set to about 200°, fruit wood chips or chunks, salmon in a cage with removable handle, direct for 15 - 20 minutes per side.[p]Give me great smoked flavor, rare, fall apart when you try to handle it fish.[p]We love it. Just another way.[p]Cajun
  • Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Options
    Rooster Roaster,
    Try brining with a wet brine for about 4 hours (salt and sugar type). Quickly rinse the brine off and place the filets on a wire rack. Dry with a small portable fan until the fish is dry and a bit sticky (takes about an hour). Prepare your egg to a temp. of 250 or less indirect with a platesetter. Put some chunks of soaked alder chips on the lump. Slice up some lemon rounds and put them on the grill, then place salmon filets on the lemon rounds to prevent them from sticking. I use a thermometer and cook to an internal temp. of 145 (I hate dry fish). I drizzle olive oil on the cooked filets and top with capers and thinly sliced red onions. Serve with bread, crackers and cream cheese. This is a winner all the time.