Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Advice - Beef Ribs (or how to search the forum....)?

DocWonmug
DocWonmug Posts: 300
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Bought a small slab of beef back ribs. Looked good and were cheap. Need advice how to cook them - planning to do it similar to BB ribs, low and slow, like the Car Wash Mike method. I prefer not to use foil as a crutch. Any suggestions?

Or any suggestions on how to properly search the forum? I searched for "ribs", "beef ribs", and "beef+ribs". I know there are a ton of posts out here on ribs, but it only pulled up a dozen or so. And none of them were on technique. So my searching technique must be off. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
LBGE

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I did beef ribs same as baby's and came out perfect.  
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    The best way to search the forum is to search with Google.  Just search for what you are looking for and add Big Green Egg to it.  For example, Google 'Big Green Egg beef ribs'  Most of the answers will be links to the forum.  The search engine here in the forum leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Hey Doc, I typed in "beef ribs" and had some techniques pop up to use.  Why do you think using foil is a crutch?  It is a technique that produces some mighty fine results.  I don't do beef ribs too often, but when I do, I foil.  It doesn't make you a sub-standard chef.  Let the results speak for themselves.

Foil is standard issue for a BBQ chef.  Most of the time I let my food rest "FTC".  That is Foil, Towels, Cooler.  That is a quick easy way to rest your meat and hold temp at the same time. 

Happy Egging!

Flint, Michigan
  • The best way to search the forum is to give up and not search.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Beef ribs are for Muslims!!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    And once again, Sam contributes nothing useful to the forum. Beef ribs are amazing if you can find some with a decent amount of beef on them. Most times the ones I see look like they came from anorexic cows (just the way the butcher trimmed them) so I don't do them all that often. Treat them like spares, slather with mustard, add your rub and smoke at 250 till done. Foil or not, its up to you.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    light mustard then rub, then a light coating white sugar. put them in before the bbacks, they take longer
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/674282/x/p1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Doc....check out my recent post...they turned out great Turbo Beef Back Ribs gpsegg September 4 in EggHead Forum Tried Turbo for first tiime on beef back ribs. Started with 5 lb rack of ribs from Publix. Pulled membrane off and used EVOO and Dizzy Dust. Cooked at 350 dome on LBGE indirect bone side up for 1 hour ( spray with half apple juice and apple cider vinegar at each 30 minutes). Turn and do bone side down for 45 min( spraying at 30 min) and finish bone side up for another 15min. We sauced that last 15 with bone sucking sauce. Also used 3 apple wood chunks. Turned out fantastic. Don't knowif I will ever do long cook again with beef ribs. Try to post pictures. This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge. This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge. This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • gpsegg
    Sorry about that. Still learning to post as well as cook
    George
  • gpsegg said:
    Sorry about that. Still learning to post as well as cook
    AT THE SAME TIME??? 
    :)) :))

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• gpsegg
    Seems like it, doesn't it! :-O
    George
  • cblii
    cblii Posts: 13
    Tjcoley said:
    The best way to search the forum is to search with Google.  Just search for what you are looking for and add Big Green Egg to it.  For example, Google 'Big Green Egg beef ribs'  Most of the answers will be links to the forum.  The search engine here in the forum leaves a lot to be desired.
    +1 to this.  To be even more specific to this site you can use the 'site:' feature on Google to search specific websites.  For example, to search for Beef Back Ribs on eggheadforum.com:

site:eggheadforum.com Beef Back Ribs

which gives you results like this:

• Ha ha...now, when you search, you'll get this thread in the results ahead of any recipes.
  • Thanks everybody for the advice. And hey to Fred, I agree with thr FTC hold method, just don't like to use foil in the middle of cook....it is a personal thing, but reminds me of my gasser days. I am an Egg newbie, and want to distance my technique from gas cooking. I like the idea of fly fishing too, but like to eat fish too much to do it....
    LBGE