Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cluck, cluck goes the hen.......

Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,496
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Game hens.  Indirect and raised in the dome, at 350 for about 50 minutes until 180 internal.  Stuffed with lemon and asparagus tips.  Sprayed with EVOO, then drizzled with lemon on top before being sprinkled with Traeger Sweet Rub.

In the bottom were white potatoes wedges and more asparagus.

Warning, the knife and fork are only suggestions; the only real way to eat these is Henry VIII style.

Pics to follow.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

Comments

• Pics

• Oops, forgot the smoke.  For this cook it was mesquite.

Smoke.JPG 3.2M

• bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,387
    looks great Doc and how do you like that roasting pan i was just looking at it but wasn't sure if it would fit my LBGE 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil said:
    looks great Doc and how do you like that roasting pan i was just looking at it but wasn't sure if it would fit my LBGE 
    It barely fits the XL, if I only use the middle rack, when I am on the Woo / raised grid.  It fits easily with all three racks if I have the grid on the fire ring.  I will try and remember to size fit it in the LBGE when I clean up in the morning.  If you really want to know, and I forget to post send me a PM and I will let you know how it works.

@Doc pm not working but that be great if you remember if not no big deal i'll be getting my XL this coming saturday at the eggfest 
    Thanks Phil 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • XL and LBGE is a great combo.  We're thinking about adding a Small for some mobility.

was joking with my wife that we should get a small or medium for camping next year she agreed  =D>
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,375
    NOM!!

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • bigphil said:
    The answer is no for the LBGE.  All three racks work in the XL if the grid is on the fire ring.

@Doc thanks for checking it out , on the XL it gives another option for indirect cooking also 
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,080
    I was just saying to the Mrs. last night that it has been too long since we've done Cornish game hens. Guess we need to go find some. They look scrumptious!

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hey Doc, The cook looks great as usual. How difficult was it to clean the roasting pan?
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • 55drum55drum Posts: 105
     the only real way to eat these is Henry VIII style.

I agree...they look good!!!
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,368
    edited September 2012
    Warning, the knife and fork are only suggestions; the only real way to eat these is Henry VIII style.

Did the wife get nervous when you suggested Henry VIII style? 
    :))
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • So.... When I read the title of this thread, I couldnt help but think of this song. The vid clip and song are rated PG. The Movie that the clip is from is rated RRRRRRRR (do not watch unless you have a very strong stomach and dont get freaked out easily. 

The clip shouldnt bother anyone.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • brianwdmn said:
    Hey Doc, The cook looks great as usual. How difficult was it to clean the roasting pan?
    It's not too hard.  I soak overnight.  Last time was a snap, this time I had to get a little polish out.  I was wondering is spraying it with Pam would make it easier.

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,496
    edited September 2012
    Ragtop99 said:

You don't know my wife.  She'd be the first to toss the bones, and let the Irish Wolfhounds clean them up! 

To illustrate, she was the 2011 Iron Woman State Champion for the Florida State Muzzle Loading Rifle Association.  That requires shooting flintlocks, cap locks, smoothbore and rifle, knife and hawk throwing.

• I hate doc eggerton. Every meal he post shows me how little I can do with my egg. Seriously, looks awesome just like everything you post. Adding yet another thread to my food favorite list to try later.
    Boom
  • I hate doc eggerton. Every meal he post shows me how little I can do with my egg. Seriously, looks awesome just like everything you post. Adding yet another thread to my food favorite list to try later.
    Fan, if you can cook chicken you can do these.  They do make a great presentation though.

• Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,368
    Ragtop99 said:

You don't know my wife.  She'd be the first to toss the bones, and let the Irish Wolfhounds clean them up! 

To illustrate, she was the 2011 Iron Woman State Champion for the Florida State Muzzle Loading Rifle Association.  That requires shooting flintlocks, cap locks, smoothbore and rifle, knife and hawk throwing.
    My joke missed the mark. I was thinking about Henry VII being famous for beheading two of his wives, with the story that one head was brought to the dinner table on a platter.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.