Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slow Cooked Steaks - I think I've found a WINNER

Options
sprinter
sprinter Posts: 1,188
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey all,[p]This may strike some of you sideways but the steaks I cooked on the egg this weekend were by far the best I've ever made, and they were slow cooked, not seared and dwelled. I got the fire going at about 250, put two firebricks on edge and my other grate on them (just to elevate the grill a bit) and put on 8 ribeyes. They were marinated in Andreas sauce overnight. I sprinkled on some Montreal Steak Seasoning and let them go. At about 30 minutes I turned them, looking nice. At about 50 minutes I was told that dinner was almost ready so for grins I opened up the grill vents and got a bit of a fire going. The steaks were taken off the raised grate and put directly on the main grate to get a bit of a crust on them. They were done at 65 minutes, wonderfully tender and with a bit of a crust on the outside, yummy. I think I prefer this method to the sear and dwell, anyone have any experience doing steaks this way and what are your thoughts? Its worth a shot if you've not tried it.[p]Troy

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    sprinter,
    How thick were the steaks and what doneness were they cooked to? That reminds me, I need another case of Andria's sauce.
    JimW

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    sprinter,
    I cooked steaks yesterday as well. I fired up the egg long before everyone showed up. I figured that I would cook the Char Crusted Filets when they arrived. Well things got later than I realized and I should have throttled the egg back. Needles to say, before I put the steaks on, I checked the lump and it was almost burned up. I added four nice chunks of Mesquite Charcoal figuring that its elevated burning temperature would heat up quicker.[p]The time came that I had to cook, so the Filets were put on when Mr. Egg was at 400. The Small Egg dropped back to 350 and that is where I cooked them for three, three, and dwell for five. The steaks did come extremely tender with a great flavor from the Char Crust and Mesquite Charcoal. I may actually try lower temp steaks in the future.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    JimW,[p]The steaks were about 3/4 to 1" thick, not real thick ones. They had them on sale, an 8 pack for $3.99 a pound and at that price no special cuts. I'm not sure about the temperature doneness, my little light indicator meat thermometer hooley cooley said that they were on the rare side of medium. Not pink at all on the inside but after an hour in the grill I'd be surprised to find any pink in the meat, even though it may still be rare.[p]That Andreas sauce is hard to beat in my mind, pretty tasty stuff.[p]I'm not sure that I'd cook a real thick steak this way, may come out like a roast, but these were pretty tasty.
    Troy

• BBQ-BoB
    BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I have slow-cooked steaks a number of times with great success. Very tender and juicy. I use mesquite lump with a chunk of hickory thrown in for smoke. The smoke flavor is not overpowering at all. I must be getting really good mesquite because I have read other posts stating the unplesant flavor that it imparts to the food. Not mine. My wife and all the kids love steaks cooked that way. In fact, I cook steaks slow as much as I cook them fast. I like the change of pace. I cook them at maybe 275 but only for about 40 minutes total. They come out between medium and medium rare.
    Happy cooking