Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Way off topic) for coffee drinkers

fletcherfam
fletcherfam Posts: 935
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
FYI, living social has a $5 for a $10 Starbucks giftcard. Figured we talk about beer, alcohol, egging, someone else on here has to like coffee?

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/448600?ref=conf-jp&rpi=78271648

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited September 2012
    I really don't care for starbucks but might be worth while for someone who does. Personally I feel like sites like these want me to give up to much personal information to make the 5 bucks worth it.
  • Thanks man! Will use this!

XLBGE 
  • I usually make my espresso based drinks at home on my Rancilio which is way better than Starbucks but its better than the office coffee we have at work. Thanks for the deal.
  • The last time I was forced to go to Starbucks, I asked the waif for the nearest thing she had to Folgers.  Pissed her off ....  I think I got an Americano Grande sans leche or some **** like that.  I think they tack on $2.50 for each descriptional word they hang on it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Gary, next time order your size in normal English. They really are hard up about calling them venti or whatever.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Geez, getting $10 worth of Starbucks for $5, at $5 it is only about 25% over priced, don't get me wrong, I do appreciate @fletcherfam bringing to our attention, the thought was nice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I am a Starbuck fan, don't really share the desire to make disparaging remarks about other peoples coffee shop choice.  

Gerhard
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Great deal, thanks for the heads up. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • When I go there (not often), I always order in english.  I figure there's bound to be somebody working there that can translate.
    Flint, Michigan
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

I wouldnt Piss on Starbucks if it was on fire. I think the last time i had it was 15 years ago and still paid 3 bucks for something.

Coffee always at home and if I am on the road McDonalds crap is not bad. I think it has crack in it because after my wife drank one she would not stop talking for a few hours.

I like saving my money for my Egg.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• "hey lady. I'm sorry sir, may I please have a large regular coffee?"

(start bad valley accent)

"don't you mean a venti mocha half cab leche de hombre?"

"whatever man"
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112

Gary, next time order your size in normal English. They really are hard up about calling them venti or whatever.
    Oh you struck a nerve with that one brother. 
    My first and LAST time I went to a starbucks I had some little twit correct me when I ordered a Large coffee.  We don't have large, it's a grenti, benti denti, etc....  Yup, quick trip has a large.  Bye. 

• Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    "hey lady. I'm sorry sir, may I please have a large regular coffee?" (start bad valley accent) "don't you mean a venti mocha half cab leche de hombre?" "whatever man"

:))
  • @fletcherfam I hope you are not taking this personal. Thank you for sharing.

With all the recent infighting, I think a little levity at the expense of Starbucks is in order.
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    I like starbucks coffee. It's potent. I order a large house when I go, they always seem to give me the right thing. Expensive, but convenient (most of the time). McD's coffee has gotten much better in the past year or so, but it also costs more now.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174

I'm a drip coffee geek.  Roast my own beans.  Good *$ is fine, very good even.  Many locations just don't seem to get it right though and produce a burnt tasting brew.

Lots of folks like to hate on *$ but when my work requires me to travel I'll pick a hotel near one.  Can't abide that Hampton Inn swill to get my day started.

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Home brewed is best for me. I like to browse coffee at Fresh Market and bring home all kinds of good ones. Economical and just so good.

Or big packs of Blue Mountain or Kona Blend from Costco works as well.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Starbucks coffee is alright. But i tend to be a non comformist when it comes to stuff like that. It seems Like some people buy into the image.. Instead of the coffee... Kind of like Apple users:)

OK now. Considering we are on a BGE site, this is funny. We could all get our ceramic grill fix with another product... There is an image associated with being an egg owner. (... and I run OS X and Windows on my MacBook. (Can't legally do that on a PC...))
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Thanks for the posting. I like Starbucks but very rarely go, I usually just order a large regular black coffee, the strong Appalachian accent keeps the barista from asking me to order in another language. Thanks again Fletcher.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Starbucks coffee is alright. But i tend to be a non comformist when it comes to stuff like that. It seems Like some people buy into the image.. Instead of the coffee... Kind of like Apple users:)
    Posted from my iPad.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

Being a nonconformist just for the sake of not conforming is stupid.

@Fletcherfam thanks for the heads up.
  • No offense taken, I could see the joking in between the lines. I live in Washington so I am not the biggest fan of their coffee (I have a lot of choices around here), however, it will suffice when I want coffee and don't want to go to the gas station to get it.

I am a coffee snob so my preferred coffee is dillano's or Forza.

Being an egg site I was waiting for someone to say they brew it on their egg.

• That is a good deal. I only get Starbucks in fall bc I love pumpkin flavored for the couple months out of the year. I almost never drink coffee but my aunt owned a local cafe called Perkin' Beans that is, by my standards, pretty good. She recently sold but still orders the stuff for her house and I'll get some, mostly in winter. I agree being non-conformist just for spite or sake of going against the grain makes equal sense to doing something bc it's popular. You're still being controlled by trends. Do what's best for you. It's amazing how many things are popular bc they're good. Might not be absolute best but in general it's popular bc it's better than 90% and easily accessible.
    Boom
  • Starbuck's gives m heartburn big time! Can't drink it at all. I do however, hit Classic Rock Coffee in Springfield, Mo. about 4 times a week to get my caffeine fix.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

i hope the day never comes that i only prefer to drink one brand of coffee.  just not that important to me i guess.

• XLBalco said:

i hope the day never comes that i only prefer to drink one brand of coffee.  just not that important to me i guess.

You do realize what brand you choose defines you on the Internet right? :))
    Boom
  • XLBalco said:

You do realize what brand you choose defines you on the Internet right? :))
    In Corporate America, the brand chooses you!
    ;)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Conforming to non-conformity is conformity.  Take Harley Davidson bikes - in the good old days, when they weren't driven by massive brand marketing, they were bad-boy machines.  Back then gangs started riding them, sellin' meth and generally acting chaotic.  Now days, they cost more than your average car (or can) and you have gangs of older white collar men with mid-life crises strapping on their bike along with $500 of Harley branded leather as they convoy for a muscular dystrophy fund raiser.   Sometimes, when no cops are around, they don't even use their blinkers.

Hey, whatever makes you happy, just do it.  It's not always practical.  Yeah, and I have a mac, but it was more because I got sick of Windows problems after nearly 20 years of Windows computers and wanted a stable operating system.
    :D
    Conforming to non-conformity is conformity.  Take Harley Davidson bikes - in the good old days, when they weren't driven by massive brand marketing, they were bad-boy machines.  Back then gangs started riding them, sellin' meth and generally acting chaotic.  Now days, they cost more than your average car (or can) and you have gangs of older white collar men with mid-life crises strapping on their bike along with $500 of Harley branded leather as they convoy for a muscular dystrophy fund raiser.   Sometimes, when no cops are around, they don't even use their blinkers.

Hey, whatever makes you happy, just do it.  It's not always practical.  Yeah, and I have a mac, but it was more because I got sick of Windows problems after nearly 20 years of Windows computers and wanted a stable operating system.
    :D

Thats some funny stuff. One side of my family I have my crazy Harley riding Mom and Step dad who is in an M/C, and then there is my Dad who wont ride his scotter 5 miles over the speed limit.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• When people resort to negative comments of the choices of others to convince themselves or others that they have made the right decision it just shows their insecurity.  I like the coffee and I like the atmosphere of most of the Starbuck stores, they might charge a little more than some of the competition but I don't believe they provide poor value.  I have always preferred Macs but use Windows on a daily basis and occasionally buy Tim Horton coffee, Coffee Cultures etc. and probably drink more coffee that we make at home than anything else but when we go out and the choice includes Starbucks that is were we go.

Gerhard