Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Turbo Ribs

nemo
nemo Posts: 113
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just finished enjoying my 1st turbo ribs. Cooked St Louis ribs indirect at 350* dome for 2 hours...pulled and covered with TF for 15 minutes. Ribs were as good as low slow method...very tasty, moist and tender. Meat pulled easily from bone as opposed to falling off, which happens to me sometimes. Only complaint was that the ends were dryer than I like. Next time I'll cover the ends with TF at the 1 1/2 mark...or, cook them at 325* dome for 2 1/4 hrs. I'll play with them a bit.

Bottom line, they were very good...will not go back to the 4 hr cook.
Fairview, Texas

Comments

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Tried turbo ribs several times about a week ago. I say several times because after the first time cooking them flat on the grate at 350 indirect we loved them. I will always do them this way. I agree with you, the first couple of ribs were a little over done. I'm wanting some day to get the adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com (see this link - http://ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig/bbqing.html) with the oval stone. The oval stone serves the purpose like the plate setter but oval. I'm thinking that that will keep more of the heat away from the ends. Anyone ever used this setup with the oval stone in cooking ribs? I also agree that doing them for 2 hours beats the 4 - 5 hour cook!
  • nemo
    Cullum, thanks for the tip re oval stone....I'll check it out.
    Fairview, Texas
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited September 2012
    Cullum said:
    Tried turbo ribs several times about a week ago. I say several times because after the first time cooking them flat on the grate at 350 indirect we loved them. I will always do them this way. I agree with you, the first couple of ribs were a little over done. I'm wanting some day to get the adjustable rig from ceramicgrillstore.com (see this link - http://ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig/bbqing.html) with the oval stone. The oval stone serves the purpose like the plate setter but oval. I'm thinking that that will keep more of the heat away from the ends. Anyone ever used this setup with the oval stone in cooking ribs? I also agree that doing them for 2 hours beats the 4 - 5 hour cook!

Yes it works very well for ribs. I used your same method with that setup, no dry ends.
    George
  • Did a BB rack Labor Day...350* dome, raised grid, indirect. Turned out really good. Checked the rack after about an hour, the were almost ready to break when I did the bend check. Sauced them for another 15 minutes or so...should have taken them off at that time. Got a little dry on the short/thin end of the rack. Will do better next time...might go 300* instead.

Opelika, Alabama
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2012

This is so sweet: Ceramic Grill Store

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nemo
    I think the oval stone will be the solution for the dry rib ends...and be better than my plate setter for all indirect cooks. Problem... currently have an old WOO2 (think that's the style I have) and I understand the oval stone won't work with it. Sooooo...it appears I'll need to purchase the stone AND a new WOO set-up. This is getting pricy. Will call them tomorrow to discuss options.

Thanks for all your help!
    Fairview, Texas
  • Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Mickey said:

This is so sweet: Ceramic Grill Store

Is this working good for you? Do you use it primarily on ribs?
  • Does the oval stone sit directly on the fire ring? How's the best way to set it up...it looks awesome!
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    The adj. rig is all I use now, haven't used the plate setter sense I got it. Pizza-Ribs-Butt all good with it.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.