Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Inject a Pork Shoulder or Not?

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've done many shoulders and love them. A neighbor went to a good BBQ restaurant and said he liked theirs a bit more as it had a little zing to the flavor. I figure they are doing a cider mix on their injection. I would normally just cook a few and find out for myself but we have a block party this weekend and I'm doing the PP. Should I experiment with injecting or do what I always do?

Thanks.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    I injected one last weekend for the first time, and it was delicious. I used "Big Bob Gibson's" recipe I found through google.  It had apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and sugar.  I'm now on the hunt for a good brisket injection.

I'd say give it a try, I'm glad I did.
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Actually here is the page I used http://www.meatwave.com/blog/barbecue-recipe-big-bob-gibsons-championship-pork-shoulder 

Ignore the basting recipe, there is a typo... 1/8 cup of cayenne pepper lol 
    :-O
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Thanks. Did it change the cook time?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• FxLynch
    Options
    I don't think so, although this one did seem to go a little faster than I expected.  I'm not experienced enough with the shoulders on the Egg though to give you a for sure answer.  
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I injected one two days ago for the first time. It was my first butt on the egg. Best I have ever had.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    I think it's simply a matter of personal opinion. I've tried injection, but didn't notice a difference. Some of the best pork I've made was the result of mustard, dizzy, and and smoke - that's it.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    A tip for the injectors-cover the target meat with a saran-wrap material and inject thru the covering.  Helps keep the stray shots contained and clean up is much easier.  I have read (not tried it) of some who warm up the injection and juice it up after the stall.  I believe fishlessman has done it that way with good results.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    @lousubcap I tried your saran suggestion (from another recent post) on a brine for corned brisket yesterday and I think it works great... Thanks

as for injections the choice is yours. I like that the egg will produce nice juicy meat without the added time and ingredients for injecting. I now mix warm apple juice to some fat drippins and maybe some soda depending on my mood and mix it while its being pulled.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    @mdb Not sure.. I guess you should stick to what works. I stopped injecting because I'm lazy. Not because of taste.
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I just did 2 8lb butts side by side this weekend.  Same rub (Byron Butt Rub) on each.  I injected one with Stubbs Chipotle Butter and brought them both to a party.  The Chipotle one was preferred as it had a little more flavor but there was nothing left of either butt. 

Garnerville, NY