Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Competition Results

friscoagfriscoag Posts: 97
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

Our first competition was a complete success in my mind.  It was fairly small, 15 teams were in it, but 11 out of the 15 were true travelling teams with VERY large and nice rigs.  The categories were Brisket, Ribs, Chicken, Beans, and Cooks Choice.

Results:
Brisket: 1st Overall!
Ribs: 4th
Chicken: 5th
Beans: Not sure
Cooks Choice: Not sure

Overall 3rd place!!!!

It was a blast and considering we were competing against teams that had been doing it for YEARS, I'm proud of our 3rd overall finish.  Our 3 large BGE's pulled it off against them!

imageimage

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,505
    edited September 2012

We will expect First next time. Just kidding, that was outstanding. Bet it was the hat that cost you Second place, get a Q hat or BGE hat

Very nice looking family.

=D>
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• friscoagfriscoag Posts: 97
    edited September 2012
    Thank you! We have a boy due in December! My wife was a trooper to do all this 5 months pregnant!
  • Man!  How fun!  Congrats!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Nice job frisco. Really cool.

• That's awesome! Congratulations! I'll be cooking in my first one in a couple of weeks. All competitors will be cooking butts. I only have one LBGE and one charcoal smoker to take but you give me some hope!
  • Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    Congratulations!!!! Third place is awesome and especially for your first time. Really impressive taking 1st in brisket which is considered by many the most challenging cook.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Congrats - that's a fantastic result for a first timer
  • Thanks everyone.  Tom's adjustable rig helped out too! Also DFW peops, Matador Meats in Frisco was a big help! The butcher was nice enough to go through 3 boxes of Prime Briskets until we found the "perfect" one.  It was amazing! 

After dipping it back in the juices we collected is was amazing, and burnt ends just added to the greatness!

• TonyATonyA Posts: 566
    Great Job - Congratulations!!
  • Congratulations.  Titleist Number One Ball in Brisket.  It's lunch time and the picture of the brisket is making me hungry.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Congrats!! That is a helluva showing.
    You hooked now?
    Cheers!
    Chris
    Haha I think the answer is yes and no.  Am "I" hooked, yes, it was a LOT of work, and I was exhausted Sunday/Monday.  I didn't sleep a second friday night taking care of everything which was all well worth it, but it is definitely work.  With a baby coming in a few months, all this will probably get put on hold for a little while longer, but it was definitely an absolute blast for sure!  There is a ton more I have to learn though.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,920

Can't add anything other than congratulations on such a great showing!!  Sets the mark very high for the next go-round.  Glad it was such fun along with the exceptional results.  And that brisket does look very tasty!

Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • This is exactly what is good about this forum.

Congrats and thanks for sharing.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Awesome man!

XLBGE 
  • Congrats!  Nice looking brisket.
  • Outstanding...congrats.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Incredible, and only your first time?  Congratulations!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    Great work Friscoag!

We are neighbors, I live in McKinney!

My first time at Matador was this past weekend.. Picked up a pork butt. It was EXPENSIVE - $4.99 a lb, so the 10 pounder cost me $54 bucks! Must say, it was the best looking and best pork butt I've ever cooked though.

Friscoag - What kind of rig do you use to move the eggs?
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,368
    Nothing better than coming home with hardware the first time out!  congratulations.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • JW, I had to take 2 of these from Frisco and honestly I just strapped them in the back of our SUV.  Made sure they couldn't hardly move and drove carefully.  We go to all of the A&M games and for tailgating purposes I take one every game.  I've had no issues so far besides them being freakin heavy.
    A fellow Aggie fan to boot, good man!
  • misumisu Posts: 213
    Awesome I need to do that one day, I already have 3 larges
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,333
    Congrats!!! I'm sure the brisket was amazing.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,387
    Congrats!!!!!!!!
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Way to represent the Eggs! Great job!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,465
    All I can Say Is ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Congratulations on the win! It must have made you feel awful good.
  • XLBalcoXLBalco Posts: 575
    nice work!  any pics of the rest of the food you cooked up?
  • Great work and keep at it!  If you're this good first time out imagine how good those kids will be growing up in it.  Keep posting and submitting the pics.
    My actuary says I'm dead.