Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Grate too Low!

Medic72072Medic72072 Posts: 23
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm finding one thing I don't like about my Egg. I was wanting some advice. When cooking with direct heat, I don't like how low the cooking grate sits down in my Egg. Are there any eggsessories out there I can use to raise the cooking grate so it's easier to get to? Thanks, Mike

Comments

• I wouldn't call it an eggsessory, but I just went to Home Depot and bought some 1 inch copper tubing (~$5) and cut 3 pieces that are 4 inches long and put these pieces on the fire ring and then put the grate on these, if I need to move it up some.  I've heard others use pennies, which you could better adjust the height of, but with my luck they'd fall in the fire or something. 

Jeff

• Report to redundant department.  Wow.
    Love me some maple.  Go Canadians.
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,787
    You can make a raised grid like this:
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#raisedgrid

...or use fire bricks

...or check out some eggcessories from ceramic grill store such as the Woo

Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MickeyMickey Posts: 18,625
    edited September 2012

Ceramic Grill Store: The adj rig;;;;;;;;

I use this about 90% of the time.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

edited September 2012

Also for even more height add this from Ceramic Grill Store. You can spatchcock a turkey.

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Darn it Mickey, I've been trying to figure out that rectangular thing for two months :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Darn it Mickey, I've been trying to figure out that rectangular thing for two months :((
    If you will just come back to Texas we will show you how it's done my friend. Mark March 16th and bring a kilt.

• Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,506
    edited September 2012
    Darn it Mickey, I've been trying to figure out that rectangular thing for two months :((

I'm not sure how serious your are but mine sat in my garage for a year before I used it like that. :-/