Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum

So glad football season is here again. All we need is one more reason to fire up the smoker, right? Decided on some baby back ribs as I have not done them in years, I usually go with spares. Rubbed down with a 2/2/1 mixture of DP Dust, Stubbs Rub and Fiesta Rib Rub (I'm trying to use up all my rubs so I can start blending my own again)

Threw them on the smoker at 250 with a mix of hickory and apple

A few hours later they were joined by some ABTs

Rather than going the 2-2-1 method, I opted for a modified 2.5-0.5-1.5 method which seemed to get my ribs done perfectly to my liking, not falling off the bone, but with just a bit of pull.

I feel like that by blending the three rubs, it added a bit of depth and complexity that none had on their own. Just reaffirmed my decision to start blending my own rubs from scratch again.

My Baylor Bears put up a strong showing, the ribs came out nicely and no work on Monday. All in all.....could my Sunday have been any better? I think not.

Baby Back Ribs

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You did have a nice Sunday my friend.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chunky_Charc
    Options
    Go Bears....were you at the game?
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Looks good, Grif.  Did you put any sauce on them prior to pulling?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Options

@Chunky_Charc - no, we opted to stay home this weekend. Still trying to recover and get the house back in order after Germany. Looking forward to going to some later this season hopefully. Hopefully Florence will pan out.

VI - naw, I don't usually sauce my ribs. I did have a couple of sauces on the side for people to try, though.image

Rowlett, Texas

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Great looking cook, Griffin!  (& thank you for reminding me to order Salt Lick sauce!)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    @griffin your stuff always looks great.  Hey, you changed your blog look - I loved the old one with the egg on top - why change to the new "blue" look?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Griffin
    Options

@NecessaryIndulg - That is my wife's favorite sauce. I need to pick some more up for her.

@Cookbook_Chip - I was just looking for a change, try something new for awhile. Maybe its teh ADD, but I get bored with things that stay the same.

@mountaindewbass - yeah, 2 hours on, 2 in foil, 1 out for the bark to firm back up again (just like the 3-2-1 for spares) I've always found it to leave me with over cooked, mushy ribs.

Rowlett, Texas

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Here's a X-X-X explanation -as above: 

Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes step -0- mentioned above. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if your desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like-experiment and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.