Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bit by the Egg! No Response for BGE!!

Comments

• When I first got my BGE I checked everything out and noticed these two problems.

For the door sliding out past the end of the screen I took a screwdriver and taped the crimped end a little more.  This stopped the solid door from opening to far and overlapping the screen.

I also noticed that the stop was a very sharp piece of thin metal.  My options were to pull it off and fix it, but, I just decided just to always use a rag to open and close it.  One of these days I will pull it off, but I think it is a good idea to always use the rag anyway.

I have contacted the mother-ship twice, they have always responded quickly.

• Good advice Ranger908. Thank you very much for the response. I too have had good luck with BGE responding quickly which is why I am flumuxed on this one. I will call them tomorrow.
  • Product recalls have probably occurred for lesser situations. My large and small or both fine, but I've seen some in stores that were very tough/sticky. A high-end cooking device should not have these issues.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Sundown said:
    I just spent a few minutes reading through this stupid thread and I'm convinced most of you have nothing better to do than ****, moan and piss at each other.

Sorry you cut your finger. Get a damned file and file down the offending piece of metal!

Personally, I would feel like a damned fool coming on a forum complaining about 'avulsing' my finger on anything.

Most of you have something more important to do I'm sure. Go do it. (I need to find something to do my self)

QFT
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited September 2012
    I've heard more than 1 person say that the solid door is on top of the screen door.  My setup is the "egg-sact" opposite - my screen door is on top of the solid door.  

As an "egg-speriment" - slide each door all the way out & remove them (be careful not to cut yourself).  If you look at the sliding tabs on the right-hand side of each door, you'll see that the tabs fit each other like a puzzle piece.  I dunno 'bout your setups, but for me, the screen door just seems to *want* to fit on top of the metal door, and when I try to put the metal door on the outside (in front), it just doesn't "feel" right.  Now, I dunno if that setup is the way it is "supposed" to be or not, but ... whatever - it just works better that way for my setup.

Reminds me of 1 of my power tools (a grinder), and there's a circular threaded piece which screws on to keep the grinding discs from falling off - it has some words stamped on it which says "this side toward grinder" - well, I've tried, and tried, and tried to do it that way & every time, the discs start loosening up - but when I flip it over & tighten it up, the discs stay put.  I just chalked it up to someone stamping the wrong side (probably in China) & never really thought that much about it... I figured out the "fix" for it, and it works, even though that's not the way it is supposed to be (according to the directions stamped on it).

My point is, that might be the same case here - Try reversing them & see how that works.  That may be the problem right there

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Good idea HH, constructive response to what some may find as a problem. Whatever works for you.
    My vents want to be configured with the screen on the inside, solid door on the outside. I checked the BGE website egg photos and my assembly instructions show the screen on the inside. As the sliders are installed at the factory, there are no specific instructions on how to set them up. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I have never had a problem with the vent door. Yes it is tight to move but a little tap with the end of the tool for cleaning out the ash and I can move it where I want to. I never even thought that it would cut me as it's sides are not exposed. I really think this guy posted this just to see how many reactions he would get. The whole thing is just stupid and I see no problem with this vent or its construction. It works fine and serves its purpose very well. I mean how much do you really move it. You set it and seldom need to touch it once the temp. is stabilized. Three pages of posts on this is amazing.
  • I rather have it stick somewhat, so nobody can move it and mess up my long and slow cooks. On a side note, whenever i buy something in this price range, it must work flawlessly and smooth!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • I guess they should have put it on Ball Bearing Rollers with a small electric motor with a push button mounted near the handle and a dial indicating the size of the opening. It is just a Ceramic Cooker nothing special except the Ceramic Construction. Very simple system for Smoking, Grilling, Baking, Roasting Etc. I like it simple and with no junk to break. The little vent is not likely to break with normal use.
  • Mine is like hillbilly, vent outside and solid inside. Mine doesn't slide smooth like a back door but certainly no issues with sliding where I've thought about it.
    Boom
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    My Large is in the nest and the nest stops the vent from opening to such an extent that the screen could pop out.  In addition, the nest actually covers up the bottom track so it would be impossible for my finger to slip and hit that bottom track.  I did take a look at three out of the four corners of the tracks and mine were relatively dull and didn't seem sharp enough to cause a cut.  Granted if my hand was swinging at a rapid pace it probably could happen.  There definitely isn't enough of an edge for me to want to break out the dremel and/or sand paper to deburr them.  

Also found my vent moves smoothly with an adequate amount of resistance.  It was put together by the dealer so kudos to the dealer for putting it together well.  

I wonder if the edges are manually deburred?  People do make mistakes and one with a sharp edge makes it through.  
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Sundown said:
    I just spent a few minutes reading through this stupid thread and I'm convinced most of you have nothing better to do than ****, moan and piss at each other.

Sorry you cut your finger. Get a damned file and file down the offending piece of metal!

Personally, I would feel like a damned fool coming on a forum complaining about 'avulsing' my finger on anything.

Most of you have something more important to do I'm sure. Go do it. (I need to find something to do my self)

hi pot.    LOL.  funny stuff

• GaryLange said:
    I guess they should have put it on Ball Bearing Rollers with a small electric motor with a push button mounted near the handle and a dial indicating the size of the opening. It is just a Ceramic Cooker nothing special except the Ceramic Construction. Very simple system for Smoking, Grilling, Baking, Roasting Etc. I like it simple and with no junk to break. The little vent is not likely to break with normal use.

+1
  • I am confused as to why some people are posting such angry comments on here. The underlying issue is that on many brand new eggs, the vent is not working properly. When I pay in the neighborhood of $1,000 for a product, I expect it to work flawlessly. The fact that some people have gotten cuts is secondary to the issue. I haven't seen anyone make any threatening comments toward the mother ship.

If anyone on here bought a refrigerator and the freezer door had to be opened with a screwdriver every time, every one of you would complain.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • I am a new large egger and mine is the same. was thinking about praying some pam to lube things up. I would do this on my weber vents and it worked like a charm.

I really like the egg so far but there is a few things they could improve the quality on for a high price tagged grill (well its a lot for me).

- my thermometer is drilled on an off angle

- firebox very very wobblely. I rubbed in the concrete the smooth it out. Its not perfect but 100 times better

- vent sticking like you said.

- should come with the plate setter since IMO its a required part unless you make something on your own.

- should come with a base 
  • :(( :(( :(( :(( :((
    Are you a child? If you don't feel like you can interact with adults like one yourself, I am sure you can talk smack with some other juveniles on World of Warcraft or something.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Salty Hogs BBQ Posts: 171
    edited September 2012
    :(( :(( :(( :(( :((
    Are you a child? If you don't feel like you can interact with adults like one yourself, I am sure you can talk smack with some other juveniles on World of Warcraft or something.

Wake up parti people. <:-P Thanks for playing, tide boy.
  • ??

It's time to remove myself from this interaction.

Have a nice day.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2012
    I already won. :))
    It's clear your intention is to get under peoples skin.  What's the point...are you that bored?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Thanks for playing. Woohoo.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    If anyone on here bought a refrigerator and the freezer door had to be opened with a screwdriver every time, every one of you would complain.

wrong.  if i had just bought a fridge that did that i would take it back and tell them to refund my $$ for that POS and move on.

• I always figured it might be hot down there so I wear welder's gloves or tap the slider with a tool. I do the same with the cast iron vent on the top.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Jesus, is there any common sense at all on this forum?

Is there anything but a bunch of whiny little enabled children?

At this point I would be willing to bet that in six months time this place will have dissolved into just another pissing contest where any question about the Egg will be met with derision.

I think I'll stay where I belong on the "old" forum where something like this doesn't last long on a bad day.
  • Relax dude!  It's a good site and everyone has an opinion.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2012
    Sundown said:

Jesus, is there any common sense at all on this forum?

Is there anything but a bunch of whiny little enabled children?

At this point I would be willing to bet that in six months time this place will have dissolved into just another pissing contest where any question about the Egg will be met with derision.

I think I'll stay where I belong on the "old" forum where something like this doesn't last long on a bad day.

Godspeed.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362

I agree. Now BGE will be making another stupid 'idiot proof' product to protect everyone. Glad I have an egg before the 'new and improved' models get made. Maybe I should buy a spare for the next 15 years.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• I would call BGE anyway. It's still the fastest way to get help from BGE.

I haven't had the same issue on the Big Joe at all. The design of the draft door is much different than the the Egg. The spark arrester slides on it's own track inside vent. No sharps edges to be found. The draft door is folded everywhere a sharp edge could've been a issue.

My Freinds XL has the same issue. He took his vent off and cleaned up any sharp edges. BGE Canada did not consider it a warranty issue. Hopefully your luck is better with the mother ship in the US.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • I imagine if the door is too easy to open, it might make it difficult to shut the grill down; i.e. air leaks in the draft door that will prevent the coals from going out completely.