Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Question

Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking ribs tomorrow, and have 2 questions: 1) I wanted to save some time for in the morning, so I rubbed with mustard and Dizzy Dust tonight,wrapped the ribs in foil and put in the fridge. Is this okay, or will it dry the ribs out? I seem to remember reading something about mustard applied more than a few hours before going on the grill. 2) I'm going to the UGA football game at noon tomorrow, and I live 15 minutes from the stadium. I want the ribs done by around 7pm or so. Since I'm going to be gone from 10:30am - 4pm, what is the best way to get them done and still end up with good ribs? I'm thinking 3 hrs in the morning, wrap invfoil and put in cool oven while im gone. When I get home, cook for 1.5 hrs in foil and then finish uncovered. Will they tighten up and get tough that way,or will they be okay? If I wait until I get home after the game to start them, it would be 8:30-9:00 before they were finished. Thoughts? Any better way?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Is my math right? 5 1/2 hours sitting in the "cool" oven?  Perhaps you might refridgerate them?  For spare ribs (not baby-backs) I'm pretty much settled on 3-2-1 which is about what you describe.  All that USDA food storage stuff is over-blown.  Go to any third world market and almost no one dies from what you intend to do.  Let us know how it works out.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • I thought bout leaving them in a cool oven for around five hours, yes. After three hours on the grill they are really completely cooked to recommended temperature. I've thought about putting them wrapped in foil in the refrigerator, but I think the cold temperature right after coming off the grill will shrink the tissue and make the ribs tough. I'm just trying to find the best way to break up the cook and not sacrifice the quality of the ribs. Maybe put them in the oven in foil on 180-200, and have he babysitter turn off the oven at halftime to not overcook them?
    Athens, GA
  • That would serve as my "foiled" 2 hr session. Then, when I get home, I could crank up the Egg, Unfoil the ribs and finish on the grill?
    Athens, GA
  • I've never tried turbo. Are they as good? Do they dry out more?
    Athens, GA
  • So, turbo is around 350 dome temp, completely uncovered for 2-2.5 hrs? Sounds really easy, but how do they taste? My 3-2-1 ribs have been REALLY good.
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry said:
    I've never tried turbo. Are they as good? Do they dry out more?
    I have done turbo ribs many times and they are great.  You only need 2 hours of cook time.
    Here is what I do. 350 dome, Indirect setup, feet up, drip pan with apple juice, 3 chunks of peach wood.  Prep your ribs and make sure you pull the membrane.  First hour is bone side down, spray with apple juice at 20- 30 min mark.  After one hour, flip bone side up.  Spray with apple juice at 20 - 30 min mark.  Do a bend test for done-ness.  Once they pass the bend test for tenderness, sauce and enjoy some good ribs.

Here are a couple of past turbo ribs cooks I have done. 

Spares:

Baby Backs:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Damn, I hate to take the advice of a Gator. However, it looks like your way is the way for me tomorrow. Enjoy opening week, and give Coach Muschamp a chance. He's a great guy and a hell of a coach. He was my next hope for Georgia, but his time came before Richt's retirement. Coach Boom is the man, but Gators will always eat boogers and wear jean shorts. Go Dawgs!
    Athens, GA
  • Oh, and thanks for your help! :D
    Athens, GA
  • Even though you are a dog fan, so of course I have to question your ability to know good taste,
    =))

I will be surprised if you do not really like this cook method.  I use to do the 5-6 hour rib cooks until I learned about this method.  It is the only way I do them and I have not had a single complaint about how good, tender and juicy they are.  Good luck. 

• thanks Dave.  I'll give turbo a try.
  • One question on the turbo.  On a raised grid?
  • I only use a raised grid if I have to many racks of ribs for them to fit laying flat side by side.  Just watch out for any hanging over past your drip pan.  At 350 they will burn.  Protect the edges with foil if you have to.

• I've never done "turbo" ribs before - I always thought ribs had to be done "low & slow" in order for the fat & collagen to break down????  

How does the "turbo" method affect this process??  Inquiring minds wanna know :-B
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • I've never done "turbo" ribs before - I always thought ribs had to be done "low & slow" in order for the fat & collagen to break down????  

How does the "turbo" method affect this process??  Inquiring minds wanna know :-B
    I thought this also until I gave this method a try.  I can only speak for the results I get after doing turbo ribs many times.  I have done both spares and BB's.  The meatier the ribs I may have to adjust for a little longer cook time to compensate. But one hour on each side has always been more of the rule.  They are usually have juicy, single bite through tender, I don't like fall off the bone.  So I believe the fat has rendered.  Not a single complaint from anyone who has tried them, always OMG these are so good.  Have been asked several times to do ribs for my wife's work.  I only do turbo and all I get is compliments.  Give the method a try.  If you like it, then you have another option in your cookbook.

• Ribs were a hit. Thanks for your help! I did 350-ish indirect for about 2.5 hrs, spritzed with apple juice/cider vinegar mix every 30 minutes or so. Didn't cover in foil at all. They turned out great! Tender, juicy, slight pull, but came clean from the bone. Really good! I'm surprised, honestly. Nice been a huge believer in 3-2-1 ribs, but honestly couldn't tell a difference in these, except the bark was slightly less dense, and I has to turn more often because of the heat. The outsides wanted to burn, buti kept turning and rotating. Anyway, they were really good, and as always, I really appreicate the help and input.
    Athens, GA
  • What type of rub do you use and can you turbo a brisket?
  • fournbrt said:
    What type of rub do you use and can you turbo a brisket?
    Yes you can turbo cook brisket and pork butts also.  You will not get a really good hard bark on turbo briskets or pork butts.

• I've strictly used Dizzy Pig for the past few months. I bought a lot of them and really like them. Bad Byron's Butt Rub is also good. Sometimes, I also tinker and make my own.
    Athens, GA
  • I did the turbo ribs tonight due to this thread...3 racks of babybacks and they were great. I'll never plan on low/slow ribs again. Thanks for the info "DaveinFlorida" and thanks for the update "mayberry".
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Last ones I did 350 indirect never turned them or spritzed them. Best I have ever cooked. 3 extra hours to play golf!!!
    George