Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just a little one...

WickedIsland
WickedIsland Posts: 153
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
First low n slow, little butt (just shy of 3 lbs). Didn't think this little guy would stall but has been stuck at 150 for a bit. I may bump up the temp, not sure. Happy to say that I am having no issues with holding the dome temp between 250 and 280. This is fun! First on... Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App After a little while... Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Comments

• How did you prep your little butt? I am always curious to know how other BGE folks are treating their butts. I have a 4 pounder smoking right now. I simply rubbed it down with one of the Dizzy Pig blends. I am using a V- rack this time around and I added some water to the drip pan. Dome temp is staying right around 250.
  • WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    edited September 2012
    How did you prep your little butt? I am always curious to know how other BGE folks are treating their butts. I have a 4 pounder smoking right now. I simply rubbed it down with one of the Dizzy Pig blends. I am using a V- rack this time around and I added some water to the drip pan. Dome temp is staying right around 250.

I rubbed it with no salt dizzy dust and some raw sugar. I have it directly on the grill at the felt line using the plate setter with drip pan (no water). Using WGWW and apple chips. This is my first one so we will see...
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    How did you prep your little butt? I am always curious to know how other BGE folks are treating their butts. I have a 4 pounder smoking right now. I simply rubbed it down with one of the Dizzy Pig blends. I am using a V- rack this time around and I added some water to the drip pan. Dome temp is staying right around 250.

I rubbed it with no salt dizzy dust and some raw sugar. I have it directly on the grill at the felt line using the plate setter with drip pan (no water). Using WGWW and apple chips. This is my first one so we will see...
    You don't need any water in the drip pan, but find a way to elevate the drip pan off of the platesetter and it will keep the drippings from burning.  Some people use washers, or crushed balls of alum foil.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Duganboy said:

You don't need any water in the drip pan, but find a way to elevate the drip pan off of the platesetter and it will keep the drippings from burning.  Some people use washers, or crushed balls of alum foil.

+1, I use 3 pennies in each corner. I also line my drip pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
  • Duganboy said:

+1, I use 3 pennies in each corner. I also line my drip pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up.

I have those round stones that go in the gasser to deflect the heat under the drip pan (you know, since I am not using my gasser) +1 on the foil
  • Duganboy said:

Interesting.  My drip pan is a disposable foil roaster so clean-up is not really an issue.  Any flavor  reason to elevate the pan?  thanks for the input.  There are so many different theories for BGE success.  So much to learn.
  • Elevating the pan will keep the drippings from burning too much and creating bad smoke
  • How is your little guy doing? My four pounder is just exiting its stall. Its been cooking 8 hours with a dome temp at/near 200-250. My cooks always seem to take longer than expected.
  • How is your little guy doing? My four pounder is just exiting its stall. Its been cooking 8 hours with a dome temp at/near 200-250. My cooks always seem to take longer than expected.

Finally done, and gone :) It was yummy but took a while, I forget the start time but I think it was about 7 hours from start to finish. I had to bump the dome temp up to get it through the stall. The bark was very tasty... @195... Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App And pulled... Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App Is yours done (and gone) yet? If not, good luck! If so... let me know how it turned out