Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome Alignment

JWBurns
JWBurns Posts: 344
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I broke down and finally replaced my gasket. Now I'm having an issue getting the alignment right..

So this is the front of the egg, just behind the handle

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

You can see there's a pretty significant gap since the new gasket was installed.

I've loosened the rear bolts to adjust but I simply just cannot get the dome more forward. My only reasoning at this point, would be to drill out these bolts:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

If I did that, I could slide the dome more forward.

Am I missing something??

Jason

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Check out the video Hillbilly-Hightech posted about half way through this thread

• I don't think the alignment is as important as the drag on your dollar bill when you test it.  As long as you have drag all the way around you should be good.  Mine isn't perfectly aligned yet I have great drag.  I've seen plenty of others that are also not perfectly aligned either.  One thing you might want to try is loosening all of your bolts and then randomly re-tightening them.  
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    My egg does not have that same hinge equipment, so the video is not much help. 
  • the_alchemist83
    the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
    edited September 2012
    JWBurns said:
    My egg does not have that same hinge equipment, so the video is not much help. 
    What type of band is that, also what size egg do you have?  From the looks of it, it might be an XL?
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    may not be the same but the principle using the washers to push the dome the way you want it should still work 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • What kind of gasket is it? Is that two layers of Rutland? May be too thick compared to the factory gasket.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    I have an XL and replaced my gasket this weekend and experienced the exact same displacement of the dome.  I adjusted the dome placement as much as I could using the side screws.  It's now about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch off - not enough for me to worry about.  But was still surprised to see it happen.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2012
    Not much help for you, but a comment on the effect on gaskets with alignment. From my experience (not all with BGE) any overhang inside the cooker of the gasket will shorten gasket life, it is directly exposed to flame and heat. I think that's why BGE's gasket instructions advise to ensure you don't have overhang inside the egg when replacing a gasket. 
    Looks to me like the new gasket thickness is causing the rear of the dome to catch the base not allowing it to close properly.
    If you haven't done so I'd loosen all the bands, move the dome to the right spot, then do them up. If the dome stays put until you open and close it, it is a clearance issue. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • other than the standard push down on the bottom band, pull up on the top band when tightening. I've found on my large, the only way to get the band to the proper tightness was to tighten it when the egg was hot. The steel expands and you can get a nice and tight fit.
  • I've replaced a few gaskets, and every time, you have to tighten, check, loosen, re-tighten, check......it takes a few times. The bolts that bend when tightened that keep the bands on the egg are the key. Loosen, put the dome where you want it, have someone else put downward pressure on the dome and retighten. That's usually the most effective way for me. Whatever you do, dont crank up your egg until there is no gasket hanging on the inside. It's directly exposed to heat and flames and you'll be spending money and repeating the process within a month or two. Good luck!
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590