Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cutting up the Chicken

Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,308
edited August 2012 in Poultry
What are you using when you spatch or quarter a chicken to cut it up?  I have some scissors that I use when doing the backbone removal, but on larger birds (e.g. 6lbs or bigger), I'm fighting it more than I would like.  What's everyone using?  Any specific poultry scissors or knife I should give a try?
Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
·

Comments

• OnegrecookOnegrecook Posts: 121
    I just use a pair of kitchen sheers. They make quick work of the chicken!

·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,413
    Wustof kitchen shears. Work great.
  • Or cheaper, get a pair of longnose aviation snips (tin snips). Wash them after use and spray with Pam when dry.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,324
    Ok, I've been down the road of snips and trying to clean them, kitchen shears and big scissors. 
    Bought at least three different two and three packs of Cuisinart and others. 

I bit the bullet and bought a $25 pair of stainless steel poultry shears from Lee Valley. I wish I had done this years ago. These shears are incredible. Long handle (great leverage to break bones), all stainless (right in the dishwasher, although we don't, to keep the edge). locking clip (to keep them closed in the drawer). 

"Spatch's" a chicken in seconds. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Can you do a turkey or a duck?
    ·
  • Mthomp13Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    I know this is probably cheating but the butcher at our local Publix will cut it for.
    ·
  • I am having the same problem. I feel like my hands are breaking when done.
    ·
  • Ok, I've been down the road of snips and trying to clean them, kitchen shears and big scissors. 
    Bought at least three different two and three packs of Cuisinart and others. 

I bit the bullet and bought a $25 pair of stainless steel poultry shears from Lee Valley. I wish I had done this years ago. These shears are incredible. Long handle (great leverage to break bones), all stainless (right in the dishwasher, although we don't, to keep the edge). locking clip (to keep them closed in the drawer). 

"Spatch's" a chicken in seconds. 
    I finally coughed up the $25 for poultry shears (not sure of brand) and it does make quick work spatching a chicken.  I saw a video on YouTube of Fred B spatching a turkey.  He had someone do it for him (that's not cheating Mthomp13) and that guy used a cleaver because turkeys have bigger bones than chickens.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • I tried the scissors route, then switched to my boning knife. The knife is much easier so far.
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • OutcastOutcast Posts: 112
    Katana.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,513
    I used to use a Fiskars 36" Super Splitting Axe, but I found it cut through the other side of the chicken and wedged itself deep into the cutting board.
    :D

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,324
    Hey Nola - glad to see you are online, hope the family is all safe and well....

Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,513
    Man, I can't believe the tenacity of this storm.  Weather still hummin' outside.  Generator still crankin'.  75% of New Orleans are camping without power (and I'm sure drunk as skunks and BBQin).  Thought today was going to be a cleanup days...nuh uh.  Maybe tomorrow.  I'm down to a fifth of bourbon.  And the generator is burning a more than a little earl.  I just wanna see some sun.... (sniff)
    B-)

·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,335
    Good to hear you are safe. It did not look good in the news.

A decently sharp knife spatches a bird like butter. I have some henkel shears but the knife is much easier.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,335

A decently sharp knife spatches a bird like butter. I have some henkel shears but the knife is much easier.

+1

Yeah....a sharp 10" chefs knife is all I use to spatch a bird.
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 479
    I use my 10' Gerber chef's knife and it works great on chickens and turkeys.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • @DMurf, Now thats a big knife! L)
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,698
    I've never had a problem with just using poultry shears, but I don't buy birds in the 6lb range. Thought those were more for braising or in soups. I could be wrong. I stick with the 3 to 4 lb range.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292

Have your butcher do it.

·
  • probe1957probe1957 Posts: 208
    Another vote for a sharp chef's knife.
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    SWMBO has a pair of pampered chef kitchen sheers, makes really short work of those birdie ribs.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,952
    I used to use a Fiskars 36" Super Splitting Axe, but I found it cut through the other side of the chicken and wedged itself deep into the cutting board.

I'm sure I am not the only one that found that hilarious

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • I use kitchen shears but they are not created equally. Basic shears are ok but you will wrestle with the chicken. I bought these Kuhn Rikon shears earlier this year and they are superior. No problem at all with a chicken spine. http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-2710-Ultimate-Shears/dp/B001EN4CSI/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1346348568&sr=8-17&keywords=kitchen+shears
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,308
    Thanks for the suggestion.  I keep going back and forth between my scissors and 10" chef knife.  Not happy with either one.

I'm going to go look and see if I still have a pair of tin snips.  I can picture them, but haven't seen them in a while.  Otherwise I may splurge on scissors or a new knife. 

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
    @SoCal_Griller

Why yes it is! I really like the weight of that knife and it cuts through chicken and turkey bones like budda.

Where are you in SoCal? I grew up in Spring Valley just outside of San Diego.
    David
    ·

I'm sure I am not the only one that found that hilarious
    @LS No you are not the only one that found that funny.
    David
    ·
  • I don't know where you're at but in California we have a couple department discount stores( Marshall's Ross Tuesday morning) and they almost always have hi grade poultry shears in their kitchen section for a fraction of the normal cost, might want to check them out, the inventory changes all the time, but if you're patient you should be able to find a pair there eventually
    ·
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,073
    I use kitchen shears but they are not created equally. Basic shears are ok but you will wrestle with the chicken. I bought these Kuhn Rikon shears earlier this year and they are superior. No problem at all with a chicken spine. http://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-2710-Ultimate-Shears/dp/B001EN4CSI/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1346348568&sr=8-17&keywords=kitchen+shears
    I like the description, "Serrated lower blade makes it easy to cut through poultry bones, branches, carpet, heavy plastic, wire, packages and more "
    ·