Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Nesters with no stone

ikolsteren
ikolsteren Posts: 20
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Question to all using just a tale nest and a wood table. Do you feel that the high temps under the egg are still safe? I built my table and planned on using just the table nest similar to what you would do if you bought the table from big green egg and how I have seen a few people do here. After my first few cooks (as I am a new egger) I notice underneath the egg is very warm / hot. I will take a surface temp reading next time I cook. I am wondering if I am over thinking things or should I be making some sort of modification to help with this.

Comments

• I don't think there is any danger of your table catching on fire, unless a spark of some kind was to find it's way to the wood and eventually catch fire. 

Having said this, the wood under the egg is probably going to dry out faster than non exposed areas.  If you are not concerned about a slight change in color of the wood don't be worried about it.  If it was me I would just put some type of thin stone or reflective pad of some kind under the EGG to just provide cosmetic protection.

• I will thinking getting a cheap pizza stone or granite to be able to slide under if i wanted to act like a heat shield and off that protection.
  • Go to Home Depot and buy one 24x24 or 18x18 tile of you liking.  A couple of bucks.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I will thinking getting a cheap pizza stone or granite to be able to slide under if i wanted to act like a heat shield and off that protection.
    Good idea. Under my MBGE sitting on a table nest, I had an old 15" pizza stone which did not fit in the medium egg. For a while I had slipped under the egg sitting on the table nest, great heat shield, but you could not get it out without lifting the egg, it was hard to clean as my hand would not fit under the egg. Bought a 10" round tile at a ceramic boneyard and slid it under the egg, it fit between the feet of the table nest, still acted as heat deflector. The added benefit was when cleaning out the egg, just slide the tile forward and rake the ash on to it, dump it, wipe it, done. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ranger908 said:
    Go to Home Depot and buy one 24x24 or 18x18 tile of you liking.  A couple of bucks.
    Mine costs $2. It was worth it. 
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • My brother went for years without a stone under his.  While cleaning up one night, he noticed smoke coming from the board underneath the egg.  His table was on fire.  Upon inspection he noticed there was no burn marks on top.  The internal temperature of the wood had gotten hot enough to ignite.  Tragedy averted, needless to say, he now has a paver under the egg.  Have a good one!
  • Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    I built my table in IPE wood, witch is supposed to be fire resistant like concrete or steel. I was planning on just using the nest and having the 2 inch gap under the nest as buffer. I hope it is sufficient, or else I will have to raise my egg. 

Quebec - Canada