Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First overnighter coming up - Pork butt help

13»

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    My one year anniversary with the Egg is next week. I became obsessed pretty quickly.
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Ok. Sleepless night. Temp was 174 at 12:00. I woke up at 2:07 and saw my alarm clock thinking its the maverick and jumped out of bed thinking I scorched the butts then came to reality it wa the alarm clock. 2:07 it was 167. Egg at 218. 4:30 butt at 171 egg at 218. 6:30 butt at 185 egg at 216. 7:45 now butt at 185 egg at 216. May bump the egg up a little to 250.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @robnybbq-looks like it will all work out just fine-when you post BGE temps is that dome or grid from a Maverick?  That asked, if you haven't opened the dome for many hours then the two are likely close to the same.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    Maverick readings at grate. The done is the same now. They are usually close a it is. The smell is amazing.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    Don't be surprised if you see a very slow temp rise through the high 180's-low 190's.  If this happens and you think you will be pressed for time you can crank the BGE up to around 325-350*F to punch them home.  Enjoy-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I live 45 min from where they make titos. If you like titos, give "deep eddys" a try. It's cheaper and better. It's distilled 10 times to titos 6. It's also from Austin.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • robnybbq
    Ok egg at 260. Butt one was reading 194. Did a red with 2 other thermometers and they are saying 180. I moved the probe an the meat now shows 170.

Would the temp of the egg heating the metal probe give me a false reading?

The thermometers slide in and out in spots easy and so so on others.

I know I need a thermapen. It's on the list.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    No need for a thermopen for this cook-try wiggling the bone in each (and no this is not going downhill...).  As mentioned before, if the bone pulls clean then you are finished-get resistance and more cook time required.  WRT the thermo readings, if all are calibrated then you may have had one touching the bone which would give a high reading.  Maverick thermo probes should not be impacted by the BGE-they should read whatever the temp is in the medium they are measuring. 
  • robnybbq
    Ok. Egg at 290. Miced probe ro other butt and that is at 180 now. The bone wiggles but does have resistance. Some parts of the butts are like soft butter with the other thermometers. I guess they are getting closer. Still got 2.5 hours before we are scheduled to go to the party.

I got the old igloo cooler standing by for the FTC.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    Take the BGE up to around 325-you are easily in the FTC window for your 4 PM eat time so now you need to make sure you finish in time without having to get a speeding ticket on the road :)
  • robnybbq
    Butts are reading 195 on each. Bones move but not pull out yet. The rest if the meat is tender. 15 min then FTC.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    Wow-you powered right through the 180's-gonna turn out great-BTW, I gather you did not have to do a lump reload-it's all coming together.  Don't burn your hands when pulling at the party:)
  • robnybbq
    Wow. The met was falling apart as I pulled it off the egg. And yes even foiled it is HOT. Thu are resting in the cooler.

Thanks for all your help. I will give feedback from the party goers later.

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    And no lump reload an looks like the firebox is 1/2 full. Got me on what was different in the cook as I even had the bottom vent open ~3 screen holes and the dw 1/2 open.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap

You are likely on the road so won't see this for a while-but when you pull be sure to mix the bark with the rest of the meat-really enhances the flavor-and I prefer sauce on the side.  Lets the consumers adjust to their tastes. 

Not sure what you did differently for the fire control-but you cleared a big hurdle with this cook-sounds like the BGE will be a keeper!

• Sounds like this turned out well for you!!  See, told ya that ya shouldn't have to refill the lump :-B

Am interested to hear what you, and your party-goers, thought of the finished product.... keep us up to date!!  :-SS 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Thanks!
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
  • robnybbq
    The pork was a huge success. I had up hide a small bag of some for leftovers. Both butts were still burning hot after 5 hours in the cooler. Got some compliments from some good cooks at the party stating it was the best they had.

The injected butt came an edge better for more flavor but both were very good.

I guess its time to step up to brisket soon.

Thanks again for all your help. I owe you a round at happy hour.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    Glad you hit the home-run...just build on the experience and savor this success before wrestling with that hunk of beef :)
  • Congratulations on your success !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO