Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium plate setter

Options
Summeremo
Summeremo Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just bought my medium this month and have used twice. One steak and one Pizza. The dealer said to stay below 400 for first three cooks for gasket to set. My plate setter works feet down but the feet sit on the walls and not on the fire ring. I put a pizza stone on the plate setter. Pizza came out great but took about 30 minutes at 400F. Will I damage the plate setter at higher temps with the feet down siting on the walls Of the Egg. Thanks for help New egger

Comments

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Does it fit if you take the ring out and place the feet on the fire bowl?

Edit: never mind. The diameter is probably even narrower at the height of the fire bowl. I'd return the plate setter and get a new one. Why risk it....
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    You're not the first person with the problem, medium platesetter feet to wide.   I'd get with your dealer and have him make some calls.   t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • twlangan
    Options
    I would be very cautious with this. It stands to reason that the plate setter will heat up faster than the Egg body itself. I would worry that expansion of the plate setter would bust one of the legs - or worse yet, crack the Egg. I would not use it in this configuration at all.
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    Options
    I have no great experience but i think there is a very high possibility of cracking the EGG!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Hmm, I wonder if the design has changed some over the years. The fire box is now somewhat different than it used to be.

I don't think it is possible to fit a platesetter for a large in a medium.

At any rate, the 'setter should not be wedged against the Egg. At the very least, it will block too much airflow.

I would talk to the dealer about it.

A cheap work around is to buy a replacement 15" grill. Brinkman used to make one for their water smoker. Also buy 3 fire brick splits from a building supply store. Probably cost about a buck a piece. Place the original grill on the fire ring, and the pizza stone on that as a heat block, or just a large pie pan. Place the fire brick splits on edge, and the other grill on top of them.

Alternatively, check out what the Ceramic Grill store has to offer in the way of third party accessories.
  • jimreed777
    Options
    my first plate setter was also too large for my medium... I test fit 2 more at the Ace Hardware before finding a fourth 1 that was the right size
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options
    Had this problem with my medium and talked about it a month or so ago - the original plate setter I bought worked fine either feet up or down - it didn't have "ribs" on the outside of the legs.  But I dropped and broke it so I bought a replacement which does have the ribs - did a clean burn with the legs down to get a bunch of gunk off that had spilled over out of a drip pan - feet down at least one of the feet rested against the side will as you describe.  During the clean burn one of the legs broke off.  Took it back to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty but if I were you I wouldn't get the temperature too high with the legs down.  In fact, I may never use it feet down again.