Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First packer brisket

jeffcaputo
jeffcaputo Posts: 15
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I need some help. I have read a lot of posts and websites about temps and times and I am more confused now. I have a 12# packer that I trimmed. What I want do is rub it and cook at 225 grid temp, and mist it during last few hours with apple cider vinegar/apple cider. I don't want to try Travis method this time, and I don't want to cook it in foil (Texas Crutch). Am I crazy to do it like this or does it seem ok? I am figuring on a cook time around 16hrs, want to take it 200F. Anyone done it like this?

Comments

• I just let it cook at 225 till done at 195 degrees. I would think spraying it with anything might ruin the bark. A full packer usually takes me about 12 hours.
  • 225 grid is too Low for the egg. Do it at 250-260 and you'll be happier. Even up to 300 on the dome is perfect. I did them at 225 for year's because that's what the big offset smokers do best but your egg will put out the best brisket a little higher. Mine moved from good to "best I've ever had" once I bumped up the temps a little. Mine cook in about 1-1.25 hrs per lb.

Good luck.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I've never foiled mine (nor sprayed them either) and usually take mine to 200.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Cen-Tex I'm doing two briskets next weekend and have always done them at 225 thinking lower and slower is better. I'm not opposed to trying them at 250 but can you tell me what's gained? Does it do something to the bark? Make for more smoke? Better smoke ring? Just curious. Cooking for about 40 people and want it to be great. Smoking pulled pork tonight 14 lbs that I will reheat next week in a crock pot with a vinegar sauce. Do you recommend the higher temp for pork as well? Above temps are measured at the grate with a digi-q.
  • It's way more moist. 2hrs per lb dries them out. Bark is awesome too. Plus the egg is WAY more stable at 260 than 225. No fire issues ever of you don't use a stoker/digi. Trust me on this. It changes everything for the better. No spray, no foil. Just rub and smoke until its done. Don't worry about smoke rings anyway. The best brisket I've ever eaten had no smoke ring at all.
  • Thanks Cen I'll give a try. I have always kept it simple, no foil, spray, or basting. Don't open the egg till the meat is done. Then I FTC.
  • Cen-Tex, in you last post did you mean egg is more stable at 260 dome or grate?
  • I cooked one at higher temps 265~285 grid and it was best packer I have made thus far. Great brisket for opening weekend of college football. Much more moist
  • Cen-Tex, in you last post did you mean egg is more stable at 260 dome or grate?

Both. It really settles in around 260+ dome. Anything g over that seems to really Lock in for me