Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dove breast recipes?

Options
Mike8it
Mike8it Posts: 468
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Tomorrow is opening day of dove season so me and a bunch of friends are going out to bag some of these bad boys. My inherited 1978 browning citori 12 gauge is ready to go!!!! Ive smoked dove breasts and i have wrapped them in bacon and grilled before but was trying to think of something a bit more creative this year. Does anyone have any good recipes for dove?

Comments

• Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Options
    I take the dove breast and cook until about 70% done make a pot of brown gravy and throw dove in pot to finish them up. Good over a bed of rice. Good with quail also
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

Are doves the same thing as squab or pigeon?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Cut the meat out into two filets and make abt's with them.

You should have ur gun appraised. I'm fairly certin that year and model is worth decent money.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mike8it
    Options
    Doves are smaller than pigeons. I may be telling myself this just so I will eat them but I believe they are much cleaner than pigeons. The pigeons I see around here are city birds that are nothing more than a flying rat :)
  • Mike8it
    Options

Cut the meat out into two filets and make abt's with them.

You should have ur gun appraised. I'm fairly certin that year and model is worth decent money.

Good idea Travis on the abts. It is a fairly valuable gun. I also have the matching 20 gauge. My grandfather left me his collection which contains about 45 guns. I'm guessing 25-30 rifles, 3 shotguns and 12-15 handguns. He was an avid hunter and loved the outdoors
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Wrap the breasts in a half slice of bacon, medium heat...300 * dome. Direct till bacon becomes semi crisp. Really good, bacon will keep the little boobs from drying out and add a bit of flavor. Did them on my gasser this way...way better on the egg.  

Opelika, Alabama
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Not necessarily an Egg recipe (although we do both the brown gravy and bacon wrapped methods mentioned above a few times each hear) but our favorite is pickled. Filet the breasts off the bones and then pickle them as you would vegetables. I prefer a spicy/garlicky brine solution but there are a myriad of good pickling recipes out there. I come from a region of California with a large Basque population and the idea came from emulating pickled tongue (which is also fantastic).

Give a few a shot if you're looking for something new, they're darn good.

Cheers -
    B_B 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Mike8it
    Options
    Thanks guys, some really good sounding ideas. The hunt is supposed to be hot and heavy this year. We have had a good corn crop which means a ton of birds. My buddy who owns the farm said if all 20 of us don't have our limits within 2 hours we don't deserve to own a shotgun! Should have plenty of doves to try several different recipes.
  • Newbbqer
    Options
    Wrap dove breast and jalapeño with bacon!
  • apphunter
    Options

soak them over night in equal parts soy sauce, honey and italian dressing.

I leave them on the bone put a jalepeno slice on them wrap in bacon and grill till the bacon is crispy

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Looks like a good result, how were they flying?
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Tomorrow starts our season- ready to give my new versa-max a try. Hard to beat them wrapped in bacon and marinated in Italian dressing
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mike8it
    Options
    We had a good hunt. Limited out in two hours. I went to the ECU game which was at noon, huge mistake. I think the heat index was 103 and standing in the bleachers was a bit warm. The local news said between 300-350 people where treated for heat related illness and over 50 where taken to the hospital. We decided to marinade them in dales low sodium for about 45 minutes then wrapped the breast in bacon. Turned out well.