Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I finally finished my table

highlifthighlift Posts: 11
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum
My inspiration came from the almighty naked whiz plans.  I added my own touch and modifications and finally I can start putting the hours into smoking meat rather than making saw dust!  What do you all think?  For my first foray into woodworking/building, I'm quite thrilled with how it came out.

imagehere are some progress pics if you're interested http://imgur.com/a/bbFLR
·

Comments

• FxLynchFxLynch Posts: 433
    Very nice, I love the finish looks great.  Now get to cooking and make a mess of it  :))
    ·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501

As being a builder for over 30 years . I can tell you this. You did a great job!

The short uprights for the small shelf, are those rod holder for a boat?

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • thanks guys :)  more messes will surely be made, cooking and with saw dust now :D

@GK59 those are supports for a bar add-on that I got from Ikea.  They were $15 if I recall correctly.
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,931
    Awesome job!!  Look forward to seeing your cooks!!
    Join the 2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange!  Find out more information here:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1182005/2015-egghead-rub-sauce-exchange/p1

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,421
    Very nice work & thanks for all the in progress shots. Makes me think that I could build one. (not, I like my fingers)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • ETBeeETBee Posts: 40
    Very nice job!  I enjoyed the build pics too.  What is your plan for the little shelf at the top?  A place for rubs and sauces?
    ·
  • plenty of cooking coming :)  thanks for the kind words.

give it a shot @bud812

@ETBee I didnt originally plan to put the shelf there but I had the leftover wood and I figured why not.  I think it will do a good job holding my beverages and thermometer for the most part :D
    ·
  • Nice job, really like the upper mini shelf, good spot to get something out of the way. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Looks good and love the shelf idea!
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
    ·
  • thanks!! @skiddymarker and @jleon401

·
  • Great Job!! The shelf rocks!
    ·
  • Stunning table!
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,384
    Looks really good- amazing first woodworking trial.
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • First woodworking project.... I'm impressed. Maybe I should give it a shot. The mini shelf looks great. Nice job.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

·
  • Awesome looking, love the shelf you added. I bought the BGE table 2months ago and can't even get myself to stain/seal mine. Very nice work. What did you use to seal it?
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,198
    Bravo!  What did you use for the top (all the laminations)?  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,022
    Looks be a utiful! Very nice job.  =D>
    ·
  • Thanks all :) The top is a butcher block countertop from Ikea, it's made from oak. I put a few coats of Danish oil on all of it then about 5 coats of spar varnish.
    ·
  • Nice man!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • Very nice!!!  I really like the second tier!!  
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
  • Very nice table!!! Great finish on it reaklly makes the oak stand out.

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,413
    Nice.  Like the personal touches you've added.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • thanks all

@yemtrey love the username  ^:)^
    ·
  • Man, this is a killer setup. I have been scouring the internet for months taking bits and pieces from many different egg tables and compiling a plan for our eggs new home. I really like your table and the modern touch you have put on it. You say that you've never done any woodworking/carpentry before? Being a carpenter I find that really hard to believe, because buddy you have killed it!
    ·
  • haha, thanks @greeneggandman :)  I promise this was my first crack at anything of this magnitude.  I studied the fine art of Lego building and have assembled several metric tons of flat stacked Ikea furniture over the years.  I'm glad the many mistakes I made weren't too obvious :D 

I'll be looking out for your table once you build it!
    ·
  • That's hilarious, I've spent many hours putting together IKEA furniture and may I add if you can successfully get their furniture together in one piece you can easily build a table. I can't wait to get a spare day where I'll be able to work on my table, and believe I'll be sharing my work!
    ·
  • stranny00stranny00 Posts: 36
    Did you order the ikea bar legs online? If so, do you have the link by chance.
    ·
  • sticks88sticks88 Posts: 94
    Nice job.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 344

If you cook like you do carpenter work it will be out of this world!!!! Great looking table!!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
  • highlifthighlift Posts: 11
    thanks guys!  table is 8 months old and survived the winter.  appears to be holding up pretty well.  food has been pretty good too :)
    ·