Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Any cigar smokers here?

robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,829
edited September 2012 in Off Topic
Anyone enjoy cigars? What brands?

I like allot I them.

Rocky Patel Connecticut
AVO xo
Arturo Fuente Hemmingway
5 Vegas

Favorite is a Romeo & Julieta No 2 Habano. Yes it's a Cuban.

LBGE, Adjustable Rig, Spider, High-Que grate, maverick ET-732, Thermapen,

Garnerville, NY

• A true Monte Cristo from Cuba for me.
  • I like them.  I have a humidor that has a couple Cohiba's in it.  There isn't much better than a cigar on the pier at the lake with a beer after a long week.  

A few years ago I had to stay in Europe for a few months and brought some Cuban's home with me.  Don't get me wrong.  They were very good, but I don't think they are better than the same or similar from The Dominican.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • I agree on Dominican, same seeds different soil.
  • chrisnjennchrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited September 2012
    I love them.  I travel a lot overseas so I get Cubans, but other countries have caught up and surpassed the Cubans now.  Cubans have the history and are illegal in the states which helps with the mystique, but they are overrated.  Just as good and better options out there.
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,829
    Yep. Allot of good ones out there. I even like some local hand rolled cigars.

Garnerville, NY
  • Not too many cigars since I started smoking a pipe a few years ago.....and yet another way to be separated from my money
  • Dunhill, Fuente, Romeo y Julieta
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • A true Monte Cristo from Cuba for me.
    Now thats a dang good cigar.  Smooth as can be. Thats my prefference w/ a dip of copenhagen.
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,348
    I like most anything from rocky Patel especially the vintage ones with bourbon on the rocks
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,810
    edited September 2012

Been hooked on cigars for quite a few years.  Have a 120 quart Igloo cooler converted into a humidor with too many cigars to mention (probably 300 hundred or more cigars in there).
    BBQ, whisky, beer and cigars have always been family to me!

Packerland, Wisconsin

• hapster said:
    @chokeonsmoke... I like how you roll! I have about 30 in my humidor; but luckily I live close to at least 3 tobacconists...
    Yeah, I got hooked on cigar auction sites for a while and built up quite a cigar collection.  I use humidification beads to keep things everything properly stored at about 65% or so.  The longer they sit in my humidor, the better they "smoke".  I have a supply to last me many, many years....
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• AviatorAviator Posts: 1,548
    My fav: La flor Dominicana factory press, and the triple leheros

Large and Small BGE, and a baby black Kub.

And all the toys to make me look like a Gizmo Chef.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Fuente
    Rocky Patel
  • Rocky Patel and Gurkha are my two fav brands. My buddy owns the best cigar shop in midlands of SC.
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174

I was wondering if this thread would ever make an appearance. My excuse for a cigar when I grill on my XL is to gauge the direction of the wind. There is really nothing better than a good glass of wine or bourbon with a stick.

My favorites are: Gurkha, Rocky Patel box pressed, Perdomo, Cu-Avana, Ashton and many more. Before my cook, I ash in the coals for added flavor, sometimes my nubs end up in there too!

• robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,829
    Ah good stuff. I got 2 humidors. I need to place an order for some shorter cigar for the upcoming winter (I hate the cold). I even bought a propane outdoor heater so I could enjoy a good smoke in the winter. I sit underneath it with my winter jacket and it's not too bad.

Garnerville, NY
  • brycosbrycos Posts: 137
    As long as it's med-to-full I like it.  I make far too many trips to JR's.  Whatever is on sale I get.
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    I go to and follow the auctions. I never pay more than $2.50 per stick and the selection is great!
  • I love Oliva V's for consistency and flavor.  Cubans have become too inconsistent -  when you get a good one they are incredible -  the other 80% of the time they are either fake or no better than Dominican and Nicaraquan.  Love big ring gages too!
  • Jscott said:
    I go to and follow the auctions. I never pay more than $2.50 per stick and the selection is great!
    Yup, that's the site and is how my cigar collection got out of hand!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• A lot of RP fans. Anyone try their seasonal cigars? The winter and spring are my favorite. Surprised only see one other Gurkha fan on here. I haven't had their entire line but I've had most and all good.
  • demodemo Posts: 145
    In no particular order:
    St. Luis Rey
    Feuente Feuente Opus X
    La Gloria Cubana
    Rocky Patel
    La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amore
    Ahston Sun Grown
    and on and on and on.
  • makismakis Posts: 81
    Here, here.
    Count me in. Be smoking only cigars for 8 years now and love them.
    My every day cigar is Oliva V and i smoke alot from Tatuaje and Padron.
    I can buy Cubans in Greece but I have found that Nicaraguan cigars are so much better for me.
  • anezanez Posts: 122
    Can't go wrong with any Ashton
  • Padron 1964 Anniversary Series. I worked at a cigar and martini bar for a few years and have smoked a lot of cigars. I ran the front end which was the cigar part of the lounge. I smoked pretty much everything we had in order to know my product as best as possible, and because I love cigars. Cuban (which we obviously didn't carry but the owner had plenty in his own private stash), Dominican, Nicaraguan, you name it. I always thought a Cuban Monte Cristo #2 to be the pinnacle of cigars. The Padron Anniversary is better to me. Even IF I were to slightly prefer the Monte Cristo (which I don't), the fact that I can drive 5 minutes to get a Padron makes it better. If you really enjoy cigars, I can't encourage you enough to try this line of cigars.
  • Punch Rare Carojo or any other Punch cigar. Also enjoy house blends blue and purple labels.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I'm so glade there are fellow cigar smokers on the forum! I have a few humidors with various sticks in each. My everyday smoke 5 Vegas classic, great smoke for the $.As long as you are in good company and have time to enjoy the smoke and not be rushed, all is well!!

• Punch Rare Carojo or any other Punch cigar. Also enjoy house blends blue and purple labels.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Peach white owl, strawberry white owl. LOL :)

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Cohiba Siglo 3.