Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork picnic roast is reaching temps really fast (11lbs

Options
FxLynch
FxLynch Posts: 433
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought an 11lb pork shoulder to smoke this weekend.  Skin on, which I removed, and trimmed of the bad fat and silver skin.  Injected with a recipe from Big Bob Gibson and put on the Egg at 4:25am in Missouri.  
6 hours later I'm at 178 internal temp.  I'm using a freshly checked for calibration Maverick which has had the grate temp at 250-280 the entire time.  Haven't opened the egg to check temps with the thermapen.  It stalled for a while at 157 or so, even dropped in temp, but now is steadily on the rise.  
This seems like a quick cook.  Given my recent post of wanting to compete next year in a BBQ contest, I'm curious why it's going so fast? Or maybe I'm underestimating my next ~30 degrees?

Comments

• FxLynch
    Options
    No kidding hapster  :)  I have done pork butt, but damn this is going quickly.  I dropped my grill temp to 259 currently and pork is at 180.  

The only downfall here is I had my first beer at 4:25 when I put it on.  Now 7 hours later and 7 beers later, a middle of the night finish is not what I was hoping for.  Oh well, I'm sure no matter what time my maverick goes off, if I open a beer I'll be in the mood to grill :) 
  • FxLynch
    Options

:)) Thanks for the encouragement, I am still at 180 internal temp and it's now 11:45 am so I'm hoping dropping the Eggs temp has slowed things down.  Only 2 beers left in the fridge though, so I"m a little worried I am not fully supplied for this adventure.  
  • FxLynch
    Options
    I don't drink anything but beer ($9-14 per six pack beer, usually IPA's so I'm kind of a snob), but we do have watermelon vodka, rum, super high end tequila, and some other fruity (her) beers in the fridge.

I may have to improvise, and overcome. 
    B-)
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Just reread my post and I don't mean to say I wouldn't take a cold Nat Light right now, just that the high end beer is all I keep around.
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Okay... so what goes well with watermelon vokda or rum...  :))
  • FxLynch
    Options
    I see this ending in the ER :):D
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Grill temp 261, meat temp 181. Still 2 beers left but I'm getting edgy
  • FxLynch
    Options
    ;;) no doubt. Just another hunk of protein from the egg. I'm thinking about hitting the sack till the maverick wakes me up ~O)
  • FxLynch
    Options
    ... Which was 6am. Pulled it off just now, well pieces of it. It was falling apart when trying to lift. Inside is delicious. FTC as fast as possible. Hope it holds heat since it broke open. From my initial taste, best pulled pork I've made.
  • FxLynch
    Options
    So it turned out wonderful on the inside, but for the second time my pulled pork has had a bark thats too tough.  I love a good bark, but this is beyond that.  In addition the recipe called for a spicy baste, but I'm sure the measurements were off because it's wayyy spicy.  

This is only my second shoulder on the Egg, not sure if it's because I basted both of them (first I sprayed with apple juice every hour for past 3 hour, this one with the spicy baste).  Is that the cause of the tough bark?  I don't use any foil, just a drip pan on the platesetter then the meat on the grate above.
  • gumbo_bill
    Options
    Foiling for and hour or two should help with overdone bark.
  • FxLynch
    Options
    Ah gotcha, would I do that at a certain temp, or after the meat is done?