Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reusing charcoal for you chimney guys?

Options
mikeb9550
mikeb9550 Posts: 95
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Reusing charcoal is pretty much a new thing to me (since I got the egg). Since the charcoal is in the egg, I have been using a LP torch to relight. I am kinda a die hard charcoal chimney guy. What are you guys doing, taking a portion of charcoal out or are you adding some new on top just to get it going?

Comments

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I will put some new in to bring it to the level I want.  If the level I want is already in there from a previous cook, then that's it.  I generally like at least a little new in there. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    I root through it with the gook gloves to make sure all the ash is out and vents clear then add.  If I want fire even across the grate for lots of stuff on direct like a mess of burgers I use the chimney.  For indirect I use electric but I happen to have an accessable outlet.  If I'm doing a long cook I dig it all out and put big on the bottom, used on the top.  The important thing is being sure you start with good air flow.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Give it a quick stir with the ash tool, drop in electric starter, pour a little new on top - business as usual. Pretty much always add a bit of new.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I've used the chimney this past year and try to burn up all the lump. The challenge there is to use up all the small stuff , forget the dust. The following method has worked well. 

Put some new lump in the chimney that is large enough not to fall through and prevent small stuff from falling through and then as much of the un-burned small lump from the fire bowl as possible short of plugging up the chimney. Set up the fire bowl with left over lump + enough new lump such that when you add the chimney lump you're at the top of the fire bowl or where ever you want to end up. 

The hot chimney lump gets distributed over the fire bowl and the small stuff falls down or you poke it down a little to get the fire bowl started. It starts pretty good with a wide open bottom vent and the lid open. Once the fire bowl is burning like you want adjust vents, close the lid, bring the Egg up to your desired temp and go to town!