Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Soaking wood chunks

mjs2171mjs2171 Posts: 26
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Going to do my 2nd pork butt this weekend.  My first time around I used big wood chunks (about 3 of them) for the smoke, but I have been reading about soaking the chunks in juice or something.  Any thoughts?
·

Comments

• smaschsmasch Posts: 96
    I just throw in a stick or two of a quality hardwood top and bottom and let it go.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
    ·
  • I tried to use different flavours when I would make smoke pouches on the gas bbq but never on the BGE.  I don't think it would do much.  If you want a certain flavour maybe add it to the sauce or mop, in other words I would add it directly.  
    ·
  • mjs2171mjs2171 Posts: 26

smasch said:
    I just throw in a stick or two of a quality hardwood top and bottom and let it go.  
    When you say top and bottom; do mean put chunks under my lump charcoal and some on top.  Last time I just did them on top.  Plus, I just filled my egg up with the lump charcoal and would have to empty it.
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,112
    I throw a bunch in, and big chunks don't need soaking.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • smaschsmasch Posts: 96
    I put them in first and last.  Seems to give a nice smoke flavor even without smoke "blowing" like a steam engine.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,672
    Water subjected to high temps create steam. 

Wood subjected to high temps create smoke. 

You decide which one you want. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,636

Stike-esque
    Boom
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,184

+1 - always soaked until I tried dry. Dry it is......
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Water subjected to high temps create steam. 

Stike-esque
    I thought the same thing!!  >:)
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,672
    I forget who on this forum taught me that. Prior to joining, I always soaked. It was probably Stike but defiantly the forum. 
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,356
    No need to soak any wood, chips or chunks. You want apple flavor? Or any other fruit. Lot easier to mop the meat w. some juice than let it come off a damp piece of wood.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,443
    No need.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • The only time to soak wood, is if the smoke has a bitterness to it. The water helos to take that out a little bit... But even then there's only a few woods that can be bittet
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Too bad Stike isn't on here tonight. Or is he?
    ·
  • Soaking is a waste of time. I don't bother even when using a plank for fish. It just doesn't make any difference at all.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
    ·
  • Thanks for all the help!
    ·
  • I've always used soaked chips.... You guys have talked me into trying a dry chunk
    ·
  • I do dry...
    ·
  • wkenta86 said:
    I do dry...
    Me too.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
    ·
  • Dry for me!
    ·
  • Tonight's cook - mesquite wood.
    Smoke.JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 3M
    4 Short Rest.JPG
    3648 x 2736 - 3M
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • I smell a rat.
    ·
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704

I throw a bunch in, and big chunks don't need soaking.

Agree. I use to soak wood chips for the weber and realized it really isn't necessary.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
    ·