Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Omaha Steaks

FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,874
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have experience with them? Any good? There is a Groupon for it right now. $55 for $140 worth. Worth it? I've heard of them but don't know anyone who has tried.
Boom

Comments

• FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,874
    Also one for grill grates, which I think people here use.
    Boom
  • I'm interested in hearing folks' opinions on Omaha Steaks too. 

Anyone, anyone... Bueller... Bueller??  :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • eggoeggo Posts: 441
    I tried it and won't go back. Inundated with e-mails and phone calls. Beware. Steaks were just OK, nothing special.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • calracefancalracefan Posts: 499
    My wife bought me some for Christmas, good steaks but they are a little pricey !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Nothing special IMO.  Tried some Kansas City Steak company steaks and they were much better. Sent a seasoning with the order that was tasty, as well.  Don't know if you can find groupons for them but I'd order from KC Steak Company again. 
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,874
    Ok so consensus is no. I would never thought about at regular price, just thought about bc of the Groupon price. But even then everything is small. Like 4 oz steaks. I need to cook 4 just for me!
    Boom
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,861
    Not good. Waffle House quality and taste. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Dan4BBQDan4BBQ Posts: 267
    20 years ago they were focused on quality---not any more.
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,471
    Waaaay over rated and expensive.  I've lived in Omaha all my life and no locals I know of buy them.  Mail order and airport kiosks are what keeps them going.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • berndcrispberndcrisp Posts: 774
    Nothing special, just the name and over priced. Wall mart is better and you can see and pick your cow.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,545
    America's Test Kitchen did a comparison and found that between grocery stores, mail-order, and warehouse club, the warehouse meats topped the list in terms of quality and taste. A few mail-order were equal, except for price. If one's heart is set on mail-order, I would go with Lobels.
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    I loved them about 20 years or so ago. I haven't had them for a long time because they are so expensive.

Tim
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 995
    edited August 2012
    This is a local supplier that has a couple of cook your own steak houses here in Iowa.  I have used them several times to send steaks to a pal in Maine and he sends lobsters back.  The restaurants have huge charcoal grills and the meat has always been excellent when we stop in, but they are quite a long drive from where I live now.  Have not checked prices lately.  They buy bulk charcoal by the semi trailer load and go through a couple of trailers full a month.  They have a huge local following, especially after Iowa or Iowa State football games.  You might have to wait a couple of hours on game nights to get a seat, but fortunately they have a well stocked bar.  Their meats are fresh, not frozen.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • I received some as a gift a few years back. They were fine but not great. I felt I could do better with my local meat market, especially dollar for dollar. But they do make nice gifts.
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I have ordered from Allen Brothers. They were good, but expensive. Definitely better than Omaha Streaks. But I still prefer my local butcher.
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Not impressed with Omaha Steaks, but the heavy duty styrofoam coolers they come in are great for FTC.
  • I was in a buddy's wedding recently and he gave all the groomsmen a huge package from Omaha Steaks.  It pretty much had everything; their steaks, chicken breast, pork loin chops, potatoes au gratin, stuffed sole fillets, and "gourmet franks". Conveniently, my wife gave me a LBGE for my birthday about the same time the package arrived at the house.  Having absolutely zero prior experience with grilling in general, much less on a BGE, this was a great way to get me started!  

I actually set out two of the steaks to thaw today to cook this evening.  Happened to see this post earlier so I thought it might help if you saw a picture.  Here are some before and after photos (I've only been doing this for a few weeks so disregard the final product).  

imageimageimage
  • Oh and did I mention this is my first post to the forum?  haha.  Sorry about the duplicates...
  • Before pic
  • TJ Coley- exactly!!! Those styrofom containers are the best part! We get a bunch sent to us by kind and well meaning folks and we always bring them as handouts to the office. Might as well buy meat at Walmart or Target. We get most of our stuff at Whole Foods, but for mail order try Lobels or Morgan Ranch Kobe beef.