Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Timing a brisket cook

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have an 8.5 pound 'whole' brisket that needs to be FTC'd by 8 AM Saturday for lunch later that day. Need to leave the house by 8 to get there in time to help with the tomato sauce marathon (picks to follow). Planning on 280 dome, putting it on at 7 PM Friday to give 1.5 hours/pound with an hour to spare. Am I cutting it short on time? My concern is finishing too early and needing to keep it for 6 plus hours. I know I've over committed by promising a perfectly cooked brisket with the time window I have. What's the longest time anyone has FTC'd a brisket?

Comments

• smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Options
    Bump to 300 dome for a little wiggle room.  Brisket is fickle 'cause no two are alike.  Some like to sit in the stall forever while others blow right through.  Either way, after internal of 195-205, wrap in foil and towel and throw in a cooler.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Thanks smasch