Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ground Burgers?

Options
Mayberry
Mayberry Posts: 750
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ive read here where people grind their wn blend of beef for hamburgers. So, I gave it a shot tonight. I mixed 1 lb of brisket with a little over a lb of rump roast. Medium grind, mixed with Raising the Steaks rub. Best burgers I've ever cooked!!! Anyone else grind their own hamburger meat? What blends do you like best?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

Haven't did that yet, would like to but bought too many things pertaining to egg so don;t know if I should mention to wife that I need a meat grinder yet.  We go to a good meat store that sells to resturants and purchase seasoned patties.  They taste pretty good, and don't shrink too much.

• lowlightbw
    Options
    I plan on doing brisket/chuck steak burgers this weekend. They are great!
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Brentsee, not sure where you live, but Publix will grind meat for you. Just buy the cuts you want and tell them what you're using it for. It's a chain grocery store, but get to know your meat guys there. They'll take care of you. I do have a grinder, but why get it dirty, when they can do it in 2 minutes tops?
    Athens, GA
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options

Count me among the grinders.  I'll never go back!

My actuary says I'm dead.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I keep thinking about buying a grinder attachment for our Kitchenaid.  I've been making hamburgers from store ground beef (recently Publix Market Ground).  Last time I did it was actually the first time I cooked non-frozen burgers on the egg...and I over cooked them / burned one a bit.

For frozen ones, about 8min per side at 400F has worked.  These non-frozen ones, I tried 5-6 min at 400F...but I was in a rush and hadn't gotten the temp stable...so after the flip, the temp started rising and hit around 450F.

I'm curious though...where did you get 1lb of brisket?  Trimmed the thinnest bits of a flat before cooking a big one?
  • Mayberry
    Options
    Lol....no, there was a 1lb "baby" brisket all alone in the Publix meat case, so I thought "what the hell....it's a sign. Give brisket burgers a try.". Turned out great. I have the Kitchen-Aid grinder and it works great, as long as you're not doing huge grinding jobs to put meat and sausages up for the winter. It will overheat the mixer after a long time running. But, t works really well.
    Athens, GA
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options
    I didn't know that.  (Never thought of asking the meat market that).  Will try now.  Thanks Mayberry.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2012
    Options

Brisket is outstanding. Just ask the market to cut a few lbs off a brisket and grind it for you. I do add chopped red onion to the mix and some rub.

imageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I love your second picture, Mickey !!!  

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

I love your second picture, Mickey !!!  
    Thanks, those were from when Beli came to visit. We only cook the brisket burgers now. Just to easy and good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    For the money, the kitchenaid grinding attachment is nice.  Best if before grinding, you let the meat firm up a bit in the freezer.   

On picking meats,  I usually pick the fatty, meaty flavor meats.  I'm not selling burgers in a restaurant so no need for the hype words/meats:  ribeye, filet, angus, prime.....

Adding a little spicy pork sausage is a nice twist on burgers too.......When in college had a greasy spoon nearby that served a pork sausage burger with fried onions on toast......best hangover remedy.....lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    here's my "go to" thread for grinding burger, when I did an "egg-speriment" to determine what cuts of meat, and what ratio I liked better:   

Also, keep these tips in mind in order to make your burger better (follow these tips, and grind your own patties, and you'll have burgers which drip juices out of them once you bite into them)!!
    1. gently toss the meat back & forth from hand to hand till it starts to form a ball.  Then gently start "slapping" the ball to flatten it out - the key word here is GENTLY - for burgers, you don't want densely compacted meat.  Think "light & airy".  
    2. Once the meat starts flattening out, I usually flip it up in my hand so that it looks like a "wheel" and start rolling it like a wheel around my palm, to make it more uniform & round.  
    3. Once you get the patty looking like you want it to - set it down then gently press your thumb into the middle to form an indentation or "divot" - this will help keep the burger from becoming "bulbous" and swelling as it cooks. 
    4. Once you place it onto the cooking grid - shut the dome & leave it alone for about 4 minutes - do NOT start "smushing" it w/ your spatula - you just spent all that time making nice "light & airy" patties, so why would you then want to compact & condense them now (let alone you'd be squishing the juices out of the burger).
    5. After about 4 minutes, open dome, and quickly (but gently) flip, and close dome quickly.  
    6. After the 2nd set of 4 minutes (maybe 3 minutes, 30 seconds), if you enjoy cheese on your burgers, now would be the time to add cheese - add the cheese, shut dome, wait about 30-40 seconds for cheese to melt.
    7. Gently remove burgers, place on bun, add desired condiments, enjoy!!! (no need to "rest" a burger - eat it immediately).
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Love grinding my own burgers. Still experimenting with different cuts to get that perfect flavor. Skip skirt steak, short ribs add a nice flavor, if your meat looks too lean, throw in some bacon for fat.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I did 8 lbs last week, 70 % chuck 30% brisket point end. The beef was great, still have 4 lbs in the freezer. Burgers, spaghetti, tacos... The brisket adds great fat and flavor.
    Seattle, WA
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options

50% chuck roast

30% beef ribs

20 % raw bacon

+ various seasonings = YUMMY.... 

• Mayberry
    Options
    @Hillbilly-Hightech Thanks! I'd like to see the thread you're talking about. I think the link you posted was not the link you're referring to.
    Athens, GA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited August 2012
    Options
    So far I have fresh ground chuck and pork and the tail of the tenderloin. I have not tried brisket yet. The nice thing a out grinding our own from a whole piece of meat is I will cook them med rare to med. if ground beef comes from the store the they are cooked through.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    @Hillbilly-Hightech Thanks! I'd like to see the thread you're talking about. I think the link you posted was not the link you're referring to.
    Hmmmm, that's really odd - I have no idea how that happened.  I mean, the link shows the title of what it is supposed to be... 

Oh well... let's try this one:  

Sorry 'bout that.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • brentsee
    Options
    So far I have fresh ground chuck and pork and the tail of the tenderloin. I have not tried brisket yet. The nice thing a out grinding our own from a whole piece of meat is I will cook them med rare to med. if ground beef comes from the store the they are cooked through.

Good point... When I was younger (20's) I worked for a meat packaging company and in the basement they made ground beef hamburgers for McDonalds and other fast food resturants.  It stunk down there and what they used was Beef hearts, cheeks and other scraps.  I can see why you have to cook them well done. 

+1 for grinding your own choice meat cuts.

• Baysidebob
    Options
    brentsee said:
      Good point... When I was younger (20's) I worked for a meat packaging company and in the basement they made ground beef hamburgers for McDonalds and other fast food resturants.  It stunk down there and what they used was Beef hearts, cheeks and other scraps.  I can see why you have to cook them well done. 

+1 for grinding your own choice meat cuts.

Hey, it's legal if it's cooked hot enough.  So who's to know?  I feed my dogs "raw".  The only problem we ever had was when I gave them "ground beef".  If it's not good enough for my dogs it's not good enough for me and mine.  Having a butcher grind it seems OK but it's not.  Fridge temp ground meat does not compare to properly chilled ground meat.
    My actuary says I'm dead.