Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Omaha Steaks

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have experience with them? Any good? There is a Groupon for it right now. $55 for $140 worth. Worth it? I've heard of them but don't know anyone who has tried.
Boom

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Also one for grill grates, which I think people here use.
    Boom
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I'm interested in hearing folks' opinions on Omaha Steaks too. 

Anyone, anyone... Bueller... Bueller??  :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I tried it and won't go back. Inundated with e-mails and phone calls. Beware. Steaks were just OK, nothing special.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    My wife bought me some for Christmas, good steaks but they are a little pricey !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • khristyjeff
    Options
    Nothing special IMO.  Tried some Kansas City Steak company steaks and they were much better. Sent a seasoning with the order that was tasty, as well.  Don't know if you can find groupons for them but I'd order from KC Steak Company again. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Ok so consensus is no. I would never thought about at regular price, just thought about bc of the Groupon price. But even then everything is small. Like 4 oz steaks. I need to cook 4 just for me!
    Boom
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Not good. Waffle House quality and taste. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    Options
    20 years ago they were focused on quality---not any more.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Waaaay over rated and expensive.  I've lived in Omaha all my life and no locals I know of buy them.  Mail order and airport kiosks are what keeps them going.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Nothing special, just the name and over priced. Wall mart is better and you can see and pick your cow.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    America's Test Kitchen did a comparison and found that between grocery stores, mail-order, and warehouse club, the warehouse meats topped the list in terms of quality and taste. A few mail-order were equal, except for price. If one's heart is set on mail-order, I would go with Lobels.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    I loved them about 20 years or so ago. I haven't had them for a long time because they are so expensive.

Tim
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited August 2012
    Options
    This is a local supplier that has a couple of cook your own steak houses here in Iowa.  I have used them several times to send steaks to a pal in Maine and he sends lobsters back.  The restaurants have huge charcoal grills and the meat has always been excellent when we stop in, but they are quite a long drive from where I live now.  Have not checked prices lately.  They buy bulk charcoal by the semi trailer load and go through a couple of trailers full a month.  They have a huge local following, especially after Iowa or Iowa State football games.  You might have to wait a couple of hours on game nights to get a seat, but fortunately they have a well stocked bar.  Their meats are fresh, not frozen.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    I received some as a gift a few years back. They were fine but not great. I felt I could do better with my local meat market, especially dollar for dollar. But they do make nice gifts.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    I have ordered from Allen Brothers. They were good, but expensive. Definitely better than Omaha Streaks. But I still prefer my local butcher.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Not impressed with Omaha Steaks, but the heavy duty styrofoam coolers they come in are great for FTC.
    Options
    I was in a buddy's wedding recently and he gave all the groomsmen a huge package from Omaha Steaks.  It pretty much had everything; their steaks, chicken breast, pork loin chops, potatoes au gratin, stuffed sole fillets, and "gourmet franks". Conveniently, my wife gave me a LBGE for my birthday about the same time the package arrived at the house.  Having absolutely zero prior experience with grilling in general, much less on a BGE, this was a great way to get me started!  

I actually set out two of the steaks to thaw today to cook this evening.  Happened to see this post earlier so I thought it might help if you saw a picture.  Here are some before and after photos (I've only been doing this for a few weeks so disregard the final product).  

imageimageimage
  • TeggxasHorns
    Options
    Oh and did I mention this is my first post to the forum?  haha.  Sorry about the duplicates...
  • BeecaveKitchen
    Options
    TJ Coley- exactly!!! Those styrofom containers are the best part! We get a bunch sent to us by kind and well meaning folks and we always bring them as handouts to the office. Might as well buy meat at Walmart or Target. We get most of our stuff at Whole Foods, but for mail order try Lobels or Morgan Ranch Kobe beef.