Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Labor Day Weekend

BuckeyeBob
BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Thought I would start the obligatory "What's Cooking" thread for the long weekend. To celebrate the glorious start of the college football season and with family visiting, the plan is to cook BBQ Ribs and Chicken along with some ABTs one day and scallops on the salt block on another day. What's everyone else doing this weekend?
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Riding out Isaac...
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Watching the forecast, hoping to get some grilling in.  Definitely drinking and watching some college football regardless.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Chicken and beef fajitas on Friday, spatchcock chicken Saturday afternoon then Saturday night pork butt for party on Sunday.  Spatchcock chicken will be first attempt, looking forward to it after all of the reviews I have read here.
    Wimberley,TX
    X-Large,Large, Medium and Small
    17" and 28" Blackstones
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    A 13lb choice packer. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    edited August 2012
    A couple of racks of spare ribs cut St. Louis style, abt's, BBQ beans, chicken wings(Dizzy Pig recipe), and BBQ chicken on the Eggs. Chicken satay on my Thai satay grill with peanut sauce . Tators and cole slaw. Drinking and cooking all day Saturday. I need a lazy day.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    So far planning on beef ribs, chicken thighs, wings, smoked turkey breast...possible other various parts of slow moving animals.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited August 2012
    Not sure.  Going to do some game hens one of the days.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Doc_Eggerton
    Recovering from this.  The shop thinks it might be totaled.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Yikes.  Hope everyone involved is well Doc.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Doc_Eggerton
    Stopped at a red light.  Guy in a Chrysler 300 just drove on in.  No slowing, no skid, no nothing.  Not me, Mrs. Doc.  No serious injury, but not walking really well for a couple of days.  I'll say this, the Hundy gave more than it took.  The 300 was a wreck.

BB, apologies for the hijack.  I posted without thinking.

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Burgers, pastrami, vinegar & salt potato chips...whatever other goodies we can come up with....
  • Dan4BBQ
    Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
    ribeye last night
    chicken tonight 
    prime rib tomorrow night

Oh--haven't even gotten to the weekend yet.

Enjoy All
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2012
    I had my first try at hanger steak last weekend, and I think it might have to make an encore Friday or Sat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Pizza Fri. meatloaf Sat. PP Mon. Beer every day !!! :-c

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Brisket.......If anyone in north Atlanta area knows an outlet for a packer, please post up.  Hard to locate here.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Sorry Doc.  I hope that you cook up some good food and drink or two, to relax.  Starting weekend early with ribs right now.  Tomorrow throwing on a shoulder for Saturday.  Sunday Cevapi (Croatia sausage meatballs) and probably left overs on Monday.  Then trying to cleanse all next week.

Cheers
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    smasch said:
    Brisket.......If anyone in north Atlanta area knows an outlet for a packer, please post up.  Hard to locate here.  
    I've gotten most of mine at Sams club.  Costco has them as well.  I'm in Gwinnett County, not sure how far North you are.  If you are close, just google Gwinnett Butcher shop and there are a lot of choices. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    smasch said:
    The Butchers Market in Woodstock on 92 (not far from Roswell) had whole briskets I'm pretty sure. They were not cheap if I recall.  I want to say they were like 7 or 8 $/#. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Thanks.....Johns Creek area
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Working all weekend but I'm doing a pork butt on Sunday for a neighbors pool party. 
  • I'm with you @jwburns gotta work this weekend, just on call, but gonna watch all the football I can and just might do ribs and wings if I feel frisky

XLBGE 
  • JWBurns
    @mrcookingnurse try Cazzy's wings if you havent already. I did them last night and even the wife said best wings yet! Tangy and sweet.
  • LongboardR
    LongboardR Posts: 101
    ABT's and Italian Sausage for Gator Game and breaking into the good stuff... Scamp Grouper for Auburn Game dinner....GO SEC!!
  • Wow, wife eating wings would be a huge change around here. I think I'm try the dizzy pig recipe. Looks pretty interesting. But I always have liked a grilled wing so the breading will be an adventure.

XLBGE 
  • JWBurns
    I trim my wings up quite a bit, to where there is nearly no fat on them. Wife and I both like it like that
  • The neighbors are throwing their annual meatfest party. (no, not a bunch of dudes) i think last yr had something like 35 different kinds of meat. Not cuts, different animals. I gotta come up with something good to bring. No veggies allowed! Any ideas
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    edited August 2012
    smasch said:

Agree with others, Sam's or Costco.

Or could google butcher in your area...
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Doing a brisket overnight Friday to take for lunch to the daughter in laws family annual tomato sauce making marathon.
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    The neighbors are throwing their annual meatfest party. (no, not a bunch of dudes) i think last yr had something like 35 different kinds of meat. Not cuts, different animals. I gotta come up with something good to bring. No veggies allowed! Any ideas
    Did you see the "BGE, Tree Rats & Expensive Wine" thread?  Grab your .22 and shoot some squirrels!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• We're taking the newest member of the family, SBGE, to the lake for a picnic.  I'm spatching a bird and going to try grilling avacados that boatbum showcased a couple of days ago.  Later I'm cooking a flat.  Let the good times roll!
    Flint, Michigan