Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions requested

dweebs0r
dweebs0r Posts: 539
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I was looking at a few pre-built tables:

This one is my favorite, $350 but its a 4 hour drive away to pick it up.

This one is local to me and the same price but doesnt have the nice, stained look of the first table.

Opinions?  Should I make the drive or go with the easier choice?
   -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    Holy crap!!  $350 for a basic wooden table w/ no storage?  Dang, I'm in the wrong business!! hehe... 

The 2nd one at least has *some* storage (the "Deluxe" model).  How much is it?

In terms of quality, both look like they are built sturdy, and won't fall apart on ya.  

Are you able to build your own?  For the price, you could build one which has storage in it (may not look as nice, but it'll be more functional).  

Or, if you lack the skills and/or tools to build your own, there is something to be said about paying for convenience - sometimes it's just better to pay for someone else to do the work.  

HTH,
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The first table is red cedar, which does have a nice look when stained and varnished. Very soft, will dent and mar quite easily, then again some folks like that. It is also not premium or select cedar, note the knots. The second table made with cypress, is stronger and looks to be made with clear, select grade material. 
    Cypress will take a dark stain, and can be made to look almost 3D if it is oiled, then sealed. 

If you like the look of the knots, which add depth and interest, go for it, but I'd check to see what kind of finish the cypress might take before you say "I do". 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I don't really get binary skiddymarker, but I get your signature...good stuff :))
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    If cant build yourself try local high school or tech college shop class. In exchange for a $ donation by you the student(s) can create a table as project. If you love in a community type town instead of big city
    Boom
  • dweebs0r said:
    I was looking at a few pre-built tables:

This one is my favorite, $350 but its a 4 hour drive away to pick it up.

This one is local to me and the same price but doesnt have the nice, stained look of the first table.

Opinions?  Should I make the drive or go with the easier choice?
    I bought a table from Mr. Young off of eBay and love it. It's awesome! Here in Augusta, I priced the cedar and there is only one place that sells it and the quote I received was $400! JUST FOR THE LUMBER! No screws, bolts, casters and not finished or assembled. Here is my table...I am quite pleased.
    Evans, GA; 1 Lg BGE & Table, 1 Md BGE, I Mini BGE
  • Thanks for the replies everyone.  I am still on the fence a little.  I have $350 burning a hole in my pocket.  I'm gonna mull it iver this weekend.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • I built my own table. I went to a small scale lumber yard and bought the cypress from them. They had a lot of a different types of wood that was either extra or the person that ordered it, didn't need it all. I have about $120 in it which includes screws and finish. I am a certified wood butcher but I think it turned out ok. Look around, you may be able to find the wood at a decent cost and if I can build a table...anyone can build a table.
  • I really admire the fine work so many have put into their tables but I just can’t wrap my head around the concept. My egg sits on a nest so I built a side-table. I call it a “work bench” not a “table”. My low, very low standard is park picnic table. Screwed and glued deck lumber, I can make another in an afternoon if necessary. It suffers grease stains, hot iron burns, fire brick scratches and spilled beer. When it gets too ugly I throw on another coat of deck stain. I do, however maintain it. I wipe it down with Lysol all purpose cleaner so the dogs will quit lickin’it.
    My actuary says I'm dead.