Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket and Pork Butt

mjs2171mjs2171 Posts: 26
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
New egg owner here (2 months).  Have grilled quite a bit and done 1 pork butt (it came out pretty darn good, 9 lbs with 9 people over and nothing left but bone and fat).  I am planning on having 12 - 14 people over this weekend and wanted to do a brisket and a pork butt.  Is this a good idea to do 2 diff meats at the same time; or should I just stick to one or the other until I have some more practice down? 

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful hints!!
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    Wont hurt a thing. Cook them the same except for what temp you take them off. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • mjs2171mjs2171 Posts: 26
    Thank you.  Any thoughts on sizes? I was thinking about a 7 lbs each.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,851
    7lb each would be about right for serving that many people. I, however, do not like cooking small briskets. I find that 10-13 lb packer briskets turn out the best. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • mjs2171mjs2171 Posts: 26
    Thanks for the tip!!!
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,522
    7lb each would be about right for serving that many people. I, however, do not like cooking small briskets. I find that 10-13 lb packer briskets turn out the best. 
    This should be a sticky on every brisket thread.  Well put.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • .. Speaking of briskets. Mine cooked to 200 was super good... But had a ton of fat on the inside of the cuts of meat? What gives
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,710
    .. Speaking of briskets. Mine cooked to 200 was super good... But had a ton of fat on the inside of the cuts of meat? What gives

I'm guessing it was a whole packer and that fat layer is between the point and flat-thickest part of the flat determines when it's finished-then if not making burnt ends-separate the point and flat along the fat seam and slice and serve. FWIW-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·