Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket and Pork Butt

mjs2171mjs2171 Posts: 26
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
New egg owner here (2 months).  Have grilled quite a bit and done 1 pork butt (it came out pretty darn good, 9 lbs with 9 people over and nothing left but bone and fat).  I am planning on having 12 - 14 people over this weekend and wanted to do a brisket and a pork butt.  Is this a good idea to do 2 diff meats at the same time; or should I just stick to one or the other until I have some more practice down? 

Thanks in advance for any and all helpful hints!!
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,767
    Wont hurt a thing. Cook them the same except for what temp you take them off. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • mjs2171mjs2171 Posts: 26
    Thank you.  Any thoughts on sizes? I was thinking about a 7 lbs each.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,767
    7lb each would be about right for serving that many people. I, however, do not like cooking small briskets. I find that 10-13 lb packer briskets turn out the best. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • mjs2171mjs2171 Posts: 26
    Thanks for the tip!!!
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,188
    7lb each would be about right for serving that many people. I, however, do not like cooking small briskets. I find that 10-13 lb packer briskets turn out the best. 
    This should be a sticky on every brisket thread.  Well put.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • .. Speaking of briskets. Mine cooked to 200 was super good... But had a ton of fat on the inside of the cuts of meat? What gives
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,022
    .. Speaking of briskets. Mine cooked to 200 was super good... But had a ton of fat on the inside of the cuts of meat? What gives

I'm guessing it was a whole packer and that fat layer is between the point and flat-thickest part of the flat determines when it's finished-then if not making burnt ends-separate the point and flat along the fat seam and slice and serve. FWIW-
    Louisville
    ·