Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Spatchcock Chicken Veggies

BrisketBobBrisketBob Posts: 144
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone cooked veggies in the drip pan underneath the spatchcock chicken?  Which veggies work best and how long does it take them to cook?  I plan on cooking the chicken between 350-375 degrees. Any help will be appreciated.  BrisketBob

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,742
    Turnip, squash, potatoes, bell pepper, hot pepper, onions, celery, zucchini, carrots, cut cubs of corn. Pretty much anything. I usually put them  on about 15 minutes after the chicken (for a three to four pound bird), roughly 35 minutes of cook time

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gpsegggpsegg Posts: 407
    Do you put any liquid in foil pan with veggies under the chicken? Thanks
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
    No, the chicken will drop plenty of liquid and fat. You might add a bit of white wine and stir if the bottom of the pan gets too hot.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gpsegggpsegg Posts: 407
    Thanks Little Steven.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
    You're welcome. I would use two disposable aluminum pans for the vegetables to keep the bottom from scorching too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The veggies from The Chicken recipe go very nicely with spatchcock chicken: The Chicken (and vegetables)
    The Naked Whiz
  • Did quartered red potatoes, mushrooms,green beans, carrots and onions in an aluminum pan under the bird. Added some chicken stock to start.