Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thoughts using on a brine?

mjs2171mjs2171 Posts: 26
edited August 2012 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
Was watching food network and some guy did his pork butt in a brine for like 48 hrs and then only did a light rub with salt/pepper.  He only used salt and pepper because in his brine was all of his seasoning.  Has anyone tried this?  Any thoughts?
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    Nope, never have. Please report back on your findings.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    I saw that last night....his pork looked pretty good.
    ·
  • What show?
    ·
    I think it was Diners, drive-in's, and dives
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    I brine mine 24-48 hours probably out of habit more so in before the egg, to me it seems like you get about a 10th of the flavor in the brine. Like 10 habaneros puréed then put into the 48 hr brine equates to a small spice note but it you put your nose over it while first heating it will singe your nose hairs.
    ·
  • thanks @AleBrewer  I'll have to see it.  Cheers

·
  • mjs2171mjs2171 Posts: 26
    Yes, it was triple d on food network.  I am still a newbie at this (just got my egg in june) and have only smoked on it 1 time.  It came out good, so I was not sure if I wanted to try something new.
    ·
  • I'm new also but am amazed how easy it is too use.  I have done ribs a bunch of times and 1 pork butt.  I'm going to do my second pork butt this weekend.  Hopefully we'll have some pulled pork tacos.

Cheers
    ·
    Haven't brined a butt in a long time....but I do brined birds all the time.
    ·
  • I just brined two youg chickens this past weekend waiting out the storm. Both came out great...lots of flavor but I would not add any salt prepping for the grill. I did add dry rub after a quick rinse. I am going to do it a few more times before thanksgiving turkey meal. One of these times I am going to weigh the bird pre and post brine. Seems like it does uptake a good amount.
    ·
  • LPGatorLPGator Posts: 10

I did a 24 hour butt brine but I put too much rub on...it came out a little salty, but very moist the crowd loved it. I've started injecting butts. It's easier and you get very moist meat. However, I brine pork chops every time. For thick chops, about 2 hours. Medium thick, about 1 1/2 hours. They turn out great. I also brine chickens, about 7 hours. Not neccesary, but it does moisten the chicken up.

·
  • ratcheerratcheer Posts: 189
    Another thread here pointed me to a brined pork chops recipe on the Weber web site. I tried it and it was excellent and everyone in my family agreed.

It was really simple. The brine was made with 2 cups water, three tablespoons Kosher salt, and one tablespoon sugar. I brined the thick cut, boneless chops in a gallon Ziploc bag for 2 hours, turning the bag and mixing things around a few times. Then I grilled them, normally.

Here is the (more involved) recipe link: http://www.weber.com/grillout/recipes/pork/brined-pork-chops-with-balsamic-glaze-and-grilled-potato-fries-

Tim
    ·
  • Never brine a butt.  It will taste like ham.  However, inject it before cooking.
    ·
  • Last Sunday I brined pork chops and a pork tenderloin.  I used the brine in the book Charcuterie and both came out awsome.  The brine had the usual salt ,water and sugar (brown and white), sage, garlic and juniper berries.

I just became a big fan of brining, or I should say my wife did ;)
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • i always brine pork and poultry.  however, i only use kosher salt and water for the brine. 
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    ShortRIb said:
    Never brine a butt.  It will taste like ham.  However, inject it before cooking.
    It does have more of a hammy taste in my experience but its different, still has that pulled pork texture a little saltier.  I like it a lot and have never had any complaints when I did brine but it is.  Just another added step to complicate things for some people.
    ·
  • HogHeavenHogHeaven Posts: 264
    If you want to really learn about brines, marinades and rubs go to AmazingRibs.com. Meathead will teach you all you need to know. He has all the facts on when and how to marinade, or not. When to inject, or not. Plus... He gives instructions and ingrediance for doing it yourself.
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,845
    I brine whole chickens and whole turkeys. I'm sure brine pork butt is good but I doubt I'll ever try. Interested in your results tho!
    Boom
    ·