Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane Preparation- Come on Man

2»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We're right in Algiers Point, directly across the river from the French Quarter, about 3 blocks off the river.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Hang in there Nola.
  • nolaegghead
    Wind speed in the 50s, gusts into the 60s.  Not too bad.  Should be getting worse around 3 - 5 AM.  Seems like this has been going on forever, and we're hours away from the halfway point.

Power still out.  Talked to friends around town.  All their power is out.  Lab power is out in St. Rose.  Lab has generator, I have generator,  neighbor is borrowing power,  loaned a tailgate (1800 watt) generator to coworker.  Most people don't have generators, they're going to be miserable until, at the earliest, tomorrow evening.  Fortunately it's not that hot, low 80s. Depending on the condition of the grid when this is all said and done, it may take a while to get power restored, especially for some remote areas. 

I won't start whining until I run out of adult beverage.  I'm set in that department for a few weeks, so unless the generator fails or something like a tree falls on the house, I'm doing great.   Tomorrow evening, ugh, cleanup, weather permitting.

Copied this from another thread and edited, sorry if you see as a dup.  Looking forward to BBQ cleanup.   Got two butts, a BGE and lots of powerless hungry neighbors.
    edited August 2012
    My concern for you is the flooding.  I just checked radar and it looks like Isaac stalled right at the coastline overnight.  This is reminiscent of TS Allison, where parts of Houston got 100 inches of rain.  Vast flooding !!!!

Good luck, Nola. 
    [-O<

BTW, there is a great national wind chart at http://hint.fm/wind/

Click here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    I was at Myrtle Beach a few years back when a Cat. 1 came ashore.  At first I thought it was nothing then the eye came and stupid me thought it was over.  Those back halves can be hell.  Stay safe.
  • LongboardR
    LongboardR Posts: 101

Thinking about all of you in the North Gulf Region. Hang in there. Prayers are with all of you!

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I happened to stumble upon this thread and thought I'd share a pic and a few short videos that I took during Hurricane Isaac,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC0o9bKIKS0&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoLl7Mmni-k&feature=plcp

imagehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3NkmTuxoZM&feature=plcp

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
    733102243 Posts: 38
    edited October 2012

LOL- you guys in the SouthEast have it made. I went through Hugo, Hazel (2 years old -don't remember) and  several lesser storms. No fun but, I've lived in Southern California for the better part of my life  - Earthquakes suck. No warning, no stocking up on must haves.

AND for God's sake - ever hear of an Earthquake Party?

Hurricane parties  are really wonderful occurrences - especially back before the Nannys took over the State and forecasting moved from black art to science.

You never really knew what was going to happen- Hurricane parties were always great for things like smoking pot for the first time, dangerous (like will we get caught) sex with a comely neighbor etc. Living on the edge- don't know the outcome.

Long live The Grey Man. Earthquakes suck.

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    1/2 of the fun of a hurricane is being prepared.  I remember going and sitting in line for gas in the 2004 season ( i think frances or wilma) when i did not even need gas.  i left the car runiing, had a full cooler full of ice, beer and soad etc, music up loud!  Just wanted to see what all the ill prepared people went through!  I am like a mini home depot.  from ammo to food to generators and gas.  The more you have, the easier it is to get through and help others

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• 733102243 said:

LOL- you guys in the SouthEast have it made. I went through Hugo, Hazel (2 years old -don't remember) and  several lesser storms. No fun but, I've lived in Southern California for the better part of my life  - Earthquakes suck. No warning, no stocking up on must haves.

AND for God's sake - ever hear of an Earthquake Party?

Hurricane parties  are really wonderful occurrences - especially back before the Nannys took over the State and forecasting moved from black art to science.

You never really knew what was going to happen- Hurricane parties were always great for things like smoking pot for the first time, dangerous (like will we get caught) sex with a comely neighbor etc. Living on the edge- don't know the outcome.

Long live The Grey Man. Earthquakes suck.

If they ever do invent Earthquake parties, please invite me to yours
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    Our hurricane preparedness involves removing all the projectiles from the porch, deck and yard, and running some extension cords to neighbors to give them power when it goes out.  And filling up all the gas tanks - it's tough to get gas after a hurricane.

Insofar as food, beverages, water, batteries, etc., we're always stocked up.  The whole house is on a NG standby generator, and we have a gasoline backup to that.  Lost power for 6 days during Issac.  The worst part was losing cable.  My smart phone has the hot-spot service, so we used that for internet.  Cooked on the egg for neighbors without power.

It was really weird after Katrina - dusk to dawn curfews and humvees and armed military patrolling the streets all night, every night.   Maybe 20% of the people were here until they started letting people back in, took months.  Everyone was sick to death of canned food and MREs....when my neighbors brought some meat in from out of town and threw a big BBQ, it was like Christmas.  It took a couple of months for the first grocery store to open up and it was mobbed.